Trying to setup a graphics C/C++ invironment

Pages: 123
Hi,

I have been using CodeBlocks IDE for some time to code in C++. Earlier I had programmed a 3D drawing program in Basic and now want to try in a faster language.

All I could find are old graphics libraries like graphics.h and similar.

I don't need more functionality that graphics.h can provide, but I struggle to find a solution.

Best wishes

Ivan
https://www.libsdl.org/
or
https://www.sfml-dev.org/

Even if you don't currently "needs" more than graphics.h, what you don't need is the obsolete mindset of ancient graphics.

Thanks.

Facinating, but way over my head - maybe later, when I master C++ better than I do now.

I'm using lot of my basic skills in C++ and enjoy the similarities and I can grasp.

For now I only need basic functionallity in graphics to start with.

I tried Borlands 5.5 and ran in it virtuel Windows 2000 just to see if it was possible - it was.

CodeBlocks had just released a new version. I tried the sfml guide in Codeblocks and had "millions" of errors even with the help of sfml guidelines.

I really like C++ and wish I was to use simple and no fancy 2D graphics library.

Borland 5.5 is an ancient, non-standard compiler. Get yourself a modern compiler. (If you are using C::B, then chances are you are close enough.)

There is indeed a lot to learn about using graphics. The old BGI library is very easy to use, but it was designed with business graphics in mind.

You really should give SDL a second look. Lazy Foo’s SDL2 tutorials are very easy to read and worth your time. https://lazyfoo.net/tutorials/SDL/index.php They will get you set up properly and take you through everything you need to know.

“A drawing program”, while ubiquitous, really is a fairly odd piece of software, requiring some additional care. For example, modern graphics libraries do not usually provide line-drawing primitives — you would have to do that yourself by modifying a bitmap/image/whatever your graphics library calls it.

Good luck!
I will take a second Lazy Foo’s SDL2 tutorials.

Actually I did a 3D-drawing program and can rotate, zoom, move and edit.

My goal is to learn math and english which I did not do in school.

It started with my robot lawn mover and thought it not be that difficult to calculate angles - I was wrong at least for me self.

After a while I stumbled over the unit circle and had to relate to sin and cos. It is facinating how degrees, radians, cos, sin and tan are related. It's a new world to me.

While doing lots of x,y drawing (I did not know about vectors) I saw z and tried to draw 3D vectors and had a hard time. But now I can change x, y and z in an existing drawing and can rotate my drawing.

Then I did a 3D-function x,y,z,colour,draw|move and I had never thought it was possible for me.

Sometimes the rotations could look strange until I realized it was the Gimbal lock I saw.

Now the bar har had raised to a new maybe not obtainable level and I'm challenging quarternions...

I find it very pedagogical using simple graphics while learning math and geometry.

Last edited on
I did install SDL 2 successfully via Yanson Tech: Install SDL With Code Blocks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJRgwbRVtP0

and I thought this was a one time setup session, but not for me.

For me Code Blocks is huge and sld.h is not known...

Do I need to setup a project for each ccp file i'm trying to compile ?

Then I tried to compile with MingW:

C:\MinGW\bin>c++ test.exe -o test.cpp
c++: error: 01.exe: No such file or directory
c++: fatal error: no input files
compilation terminated.

I can start c++ in any directory, so the path is ok, but I can't persude c++ to compile anything I try.

You have to tell C::B where the SDL headers and libraries are. You can modify either the global directories for the compiler, or you must add them for every project.

I am not a fan of YouTube tutorials. Lazy Foo’ is pretty pedantic about getting it right; hence my recommendation. It might still be worth a read through to see what you did differently.

(There is more than one path to consider. Your compiler’s executable path is just one. There are also all the paths for various includes, then paths for .lib/.a files, then paths for .dll/.so files. The compiler needs to know where these things are to work.)
On my Windows 10 computer is compiling from command line fine and on my Windows 7 computer I have to use Code Blocks. None can compile with SDL.

I was just trying to use graphics in c/c++ and I think it's way over my head. So for now I have spend enough time now on this and I will return to my geometry and math and spend enough time on these subjects.

I think I will wait and see if someone some day will make a library so I don't have to do all that digging in all kind of c++ stuff.

Lots of things had changes since I used Basic in the old days with inline 6502 assembler...

Thanks for your efforts.
Well, not to put too fine a point on it, but you didn’t follow my recommendations and are now bothered that things aren’t working correctly?

Using external libraries has always been a pain in C and C++, especially on Windows, but not that much of a pain — it is part of using the language.

Now that you have been more explicit about playing with geometric shapes and the like, you will find that modern graphics libraries are not too helpful either: neither SFML nor SDL2 provide a whole lot of line-drawing primitives.

My WinBGIm library upgrade is still one of the best versions out there (shockingly!), but it is designed to work with GCC only.

I originally posted it just because people were having trouble getting the older (broken) one to work with modern versions of GCC.

I have often thought to myself that it would be nice to have a simple library for drawing primitives in C++, and have considered writing one myself.

But the reality is that they do exist.

So at this point, I actually recommend you check out Tk, as in Tcl/Tk (https://www.tcl.tk/). You can use Tk with C++, IIRC, but it is simpler just to use the wish interpreter.

Here is an example program to draw a simple graph:

proc graph {canvas coords n xtext ytext points} {

lassign $coords lt tp rt bt 

incr lt  20
  incr rt -$n
  incr tp  $n
  incr bt -20

# Draw the labels
  $canvas create text [expr {$lt+(($rt-$lt)/2)}] [expr {$bt+10}] -text $xtext
  $canvas create text [expr {$lt-10}] [expr {$tp+(($bt-$tp)/2)}] -text [join [split $ytext {}] \n]

# Draw the axes
  $canvas create line $lt $tp $lt $bt -arrow first
  $canvas create line $lt $bt $rt $bt -arrow last

# transform the list of points to our canvas's coordinate system
  foreach point $points {
    lassign $point x y
    lappend points2 [expr {$lt + (($rt - $lt) * $x)}]
    lappend points2 [expr {$bt - (($bt - $tp) * $y)}]
  }

# draw the lines of the graph between points
  $canvas create line {*}$points2 -fill red

# draw a dot at each point
  foreach {x y} $points2 {
    $canvas create oval [expr {$x-$n}] [expr {$y-$n}] [expr {$x+$n}] [expr {$y+$n}] -fill red -outline red
  }

}

canvas .c -width 420 -height 300
pack .c
graph .c {0 0 420 300} 3 Time Productivity {
  {0.0  0.00} 
  {0.1  0.20} 
  {0.2  0.07} 
  {0.3  0.50}
  {0.4  0.50}
  {0.5  0.69}
  {0.6  0.71}
  {0.7  1.00}
  {0.8  0.33}
  {0.9  0.46}
  {1.0  0.67}
}

Good luck!
On Windows, even Win 7 or 10, you can still use the "antiquated" GDI system.

A book that teaches how to create a 2D game engine using the Win32 GDI and multimedia libraries, about as bare-bones as it comes. All the functionality is built-in the OS, no need for additional 3rd party libraries:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0672326590/

With Windows there is also DirectX. Another "part of the OS" multimedia technology.

Of course this is creating a Windows specific app, with WinMain, etc instead of C/C++ main as the execution entry point.

There are a few minor changes you will need to make if you get the book, changing a few Windows specific data types. LPSTR to PSTR for example. LPSTR is a long pointer to a C string, an artifact of 16-bit Windows. You should be able to decipher what a PSTR is.

Fair Warning, programming a Windows GUI/Game app is different than a C/C++ console app. Creating a 64-bit app with C/C++ doesn't change the source, it can for a Windows GUI app.

Windows Data Types
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/winprog/windows-data-types

New Data Types for 64-bit Windows
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/winprog64/the-new-data-types

64-bit programming for game developers
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/dxtecharts/sixty-four-bit-programming-for-game-developers

Using a 3rd party multi-media library has one advantage. They are ported to operating systems other than just Windows.

Here's an old, outdated Win32 API tutorial you might want to look at for creating simple GUI apps.
http://www.winprog.org/tutorial/

It has some very basic graphics lessons. Using Windows 7/10 you will still need to make changes to adapt to the 32-bit programming model.
I would totally steer away from Win32 programming, though. Screwing around with the GDI is more pain than it is worth just to draw some lines and circles — get a library specifically for that and use it instead.
"Well, not to put too fine a point on it, but you didn’t follow my recommendations and are now bothered that things aren’t working correctly?

Using external libraries has always been a pain in C and C++, especially on Windows, but not that much of a pain — it is part of using the language."

I really appriciate all the help I get but graphics in c-style demands a lots steps and not easy to understand at least for me.

I can't understand why I can't add graphics like math.h or other header files without doing a lot of steps.

"Here is an example program to draw a simple graph:"

Simple for you absolutely not simple for me. :o)

A little below program where I just type one line and then I have 2D graphics!

REM basictoc 02.04.20 - draw lines throug origin and turning 15 degrees

MODE 22 REM Opens a window with 2048 x 1536 pixels

radius = 400
xpos = 1024
ypos = 768
angle = 15

FOR vinkel = 0 TO 180 -angle STEP angle
x = radius * COS(vinkel*PI*2/360)
y = radius * SIN(vinkel*PI*2/360)
MOVE xpos + x ,ypos + y
DRAW xpos - x, ypos - y
NEXT

I don't how to format code so all lines starts at coloum 1.
I can't understand why I can't add graphics like math.h or other header files without doing a lot of steps.
-- math has only a very small number of very common, very simple things in it. Its not like you are #including <10th_dimensional_multivariable_differential_eqtns.h> here. Its like sin and cos and such. Graphics by its nature is very complicated, and on top of that complexity, you have windows specific things, unix specific things, etc. There isnt any magic one-library for all systems.

The code sample you show can draw a line, sure. Try to use that library to render an animated texture on a 5000 polygon model that is moving across the screen with lighting effects, shadows, transparency, etc like a photorealistic car driving down a road -- at the rates gamers want, which is 80+ frames per second. The basic or whatever that is built in library can't handle it, else all your big games would be written like your snip above (they are not). YOU may want to do something simple, but the tool has to also support the people coding difficult things, and those difficult things are too large for the c++ language committee to manage. Graphics libraries, hardware, device drivers, etc are updated multiple times per year. The c++ language team can't handle keeping a library up to date, nor can the compiler builders who would need to support that. It must be 'outside' the language where dedicated experts in these areas can keep the tools up to date with the hardware and such at an acceptable pace, rather than lagging years behind.

This is why all other big libraries are out of the language as well. After you get out of math, if you want to do linear algebra, you get a library for it because the compiler builders and language committee can't mange every possible math, networking, graphics, sound, images, database, .... X 100000 other things code themselves.

You may be working too hard.
you can usually find a working example for any library that you can copy and morph into your own program. Find one of the most basic examples that sets up the graphics screen etc and draws like a triangle on it. Remove the draw triangle part, change to what you want. Keep their setup code. They should also have a makefile or project or something you can use to compile without having to figure it out the hard way. Should just be ready to go out of the box. If not on their site, then some user of their product somewhere will have some examples you can lift from if the library is credible at all. If its brand new / never before used by more than 5 people, you may want to use a different tool until you get more familiar with this kind of stuff. I made a (cartoony, but functional) full graphical flight simulator off someone's example (they set up all the graphics mess and a 'world', I put in the airplane and its controls and made it move around in the world).
Last edited on
"There isnt any magic one-library for all systems."

That Basic I use will work on any hardware that runs Windows 98 up to Windows 10 and dont care about hardware.

Although my English is bad I thought I had clarified that I have no intension or even skills to do "to render an animated texture on a 5000 polygon model". I do not know what "render" means?

How hardware and when device drivers are done I do not have interest in. I am interested in learning C++ programming and think Bjarne is doing a great job. I must tease him next time he is in Denmark for doing a std_graphics.h :o)

My pc is almost 10 years old i5 m480 with W10 and is fast enough for me.

Some of us are not going to make a new "Unreal Graphics 3D engine" but just start to learn first steps of graphics. I can make simple 3D graphics and I am sure for myself and maybe other starters it can be very pedagogical to have some form of basic insight.

I had apparently misunderstood or assumed wrongly that a simple 2D graphics library was available for beginners.

Yes, you have made a number of mistakes in this thread. Your ego / righteous indignation / whatever is not helping you any.

You'll notice a few of us haven't given you up for bust yet.

And your last sentence is correct: you assumed wrong. There is no such thing as a "beginners" 2D graphics library. There do exist systems where access to graphics is significantly limited to what you might call "beginners" level, but that is not usually the direct reason for that.

The term "beginner" is not synonymous with "minimalistically simple". It means, literally, that someone has just begun to learn something complex.

You must change your mindset from entitled to simplistic functionality (which people who use these libraries do not want to "how do I learn to use this software to do cool stuff?"

That is the mindset of every competent person in any field of endeavor.

The only other option / mindset that would prove productive would be to convince others to do the task for you.

Meh, end lecture. My recommendation stands. Tk is as beginner-friendly as it gets.
Last edited on
There are "simple 2D graphics libraries" available. I personally like SFML (The S stands for Simple). But salem c already linked that, so I'm just repeating the conversation now.

If you follow the directions, it isn't that bad to install:
https://www.sfml-dev.org/tutorials/2.5/
https://www.sfml-dev.org/tutorials/2.5/start-cb.php

runs Windows 98 up to Windows 10
Okay, but graphics are different across operating systems other than Windows. But that's not the point. If we're talking about standardizing graphics in C++ itself, as opposed to a third-party library, the point is that graphics are not seen by the standard committee as being worth standardizing into the language. C++ does not assume that you have a computer monitor, let alone a graphics driver. It just isn't where their goals are, like it or not.
I had apparently misunderstood or assumed wrongly that a simple 2D graphics library was available for beginners.

You are right, there are simple 2-d libraries. But you still have to include a few headers and link the library into your project: no such thing exists in the c++ language directly. This is what you are going on about, and doing so is about as effective as going outside and shaking your fist at the sky: it may make you feel better, but it won't teach the universe a lesson or accomplish much.

Again, grab one of the simple libraries and a ready to go example. It should be fairly easy to play with the tools from there. Or keep using basic, if you hate this so very much. There is nothing wrong with using basic if it does what you want, just realize that as you learn you will outgrow the capability of that tool and be left right back where you are now afterwards. Or not. Sometimes, you just need a pixel on the screen. One of my best programs just scrolled the screen keeping what was there and drawing only in the last column: a real time plot of xy data for a couple of variables, with nothing but a memcpy, draw one pixel, and dump the frame over and over.
You could try Dislin
https://www.mps.mpg.de/dislin
There are simple c++ examples at
https://www.mps.mpg.de/1757371/exa_cpp#section_1

It can do a few cool things besides basic plotting; I use it to write GUIs:
https://i.imgur.com/QODVbKp.jpg

basictoc wrote:
C:\MinGW\bin>c++ test.exe -o test.cpp
c++: error: 01.exe: No such file or directory
c++: fatal error: no input files
compilation terminated.

I can start g++ in any directory, so the path is ok, but I can't persude [sic] c++ to compile anything I try.

Your compile command is mixed up; the name of the executable should come after the -o option; thus:
g++ -o test.exe test.cpp

(I prefer to use g++ rather than c++ here, as it would also handle other programming languages as well.)
Last edited on
Pages: 123