Hard disk problem.

I don't know whether i should be asking here but i'll give it a try.

I have a 1tb external harddisk, there's a storm and power outage for 1 sec. My hardisk got corrupted and ask me to format. I have 667gb worth of stuff there i really don't' want to.

So i use chkdsk g:\ /f /r command in cmd(im' using window 7), (i use mstsc.msc to identify the disk is named g:\) But then at stage 4, the memory usage start increasing and stop the execution. Note that my desktop is some high end gaming desktop with 16 gb ram and 4x core processor.

I Later borrow my friend's laptop which is a window xp, and the chkdsk :g\ /f /r worked probably, but since his laptop is really old, recovering a 667gb bad sector will take days and he can't let me do that since he got work. note: Window vista have the same problem as window 7

So my request is, is there any program performs similar actions to chkdsk g:\ /f /r? Or any ways to save my harddisk?
Okay, so Windows is telling you the partition is dirty and that it has not been formatted.
And it seems that running in Windows has been giving you problems?

Okay you have to methods. One, run the computer in safe mode with command prompt. You can do this by tapping F8 before the Windows 7 splash screen. Select from the options "Boot with Command Prompt." Then log in when given the option as an Administrator and run the same command with chkdsk, but maybe remove the /r flag. See if that works.

If you still can't access the drive, the other solution is to burn a Linux Live CD (my suggestion is look into the Ubuntu distro, which makes it easy to understand). When running the live CD, mount the 1tb drive and see if you can access your files. If so immediately back them up to another drive.

If these don't work come back and we'll brain storm something else.
Try some recovery tools such as recuva or Nero's revovery tool.
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

I used this recently to recover trashed partitions and all files therein. It worked perfectly.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.