“Module was built without symbols” Error occurred when tried to opening a sample project

I am new to visual studio, I am trying to run a sample CPP code from a company which connects to DCAM API application. I have checked the version of VS in .sln file and installed that version of VS.I tried running the code below

// console/init_uninit
//

#include "../misc/console4.h"

#include "../misc/common.h"

#define USE_INITOPTION 0 // set DCAMAPI_INITOPTION when the value isn't 0.
#define USE_INITGUID 0 // set GUID parameter when the value isn't 0.

#if USE_INITGUID
#include "../misc/dcamapix.h"
#endif

int main( int argc, char* const argv[] )
{
printf( "PROGRAM START\n" );

int ret = 0;
DCAMERR err;

// initialize DCAM-API
DCAMAPI_INIT apiinit;
memset( &apiinit, 0, sizeof(apiinit) );
apiinit.size = sizeof(apiinit);

#if USE_INITOPTION
// set option of initialization
int32 initoption[] = {
DCAMAPI_INITOPTION_APIVER__LATEST,
DCAMAPI_INITOPTION_ENDMARK // it is necessary to set as the last value.
};

apiinit.initoption = initoption;
apiinit.initoptionbytes = sizeof(initoption);
#endif

#if USE_INITGUID
// set GUID parameter
DCAM_GUID guid = DCAM_GUID_MYAPP;

apiinit.guid = &guid;
#endif

err = dcamapi_init( &apiinit );
if( failed(err) )
{
dcamcon_show_dcamerr( NULL, err, "dcamapi_init()" );
ret = 1;
}
else
{
int32 nDevice = apiinit.iDeviceCount;
printf( "dcamapi_init() found %d device(s).\n", nDevice );

int32 iDevice;
for( iDevice = 0; iDevice < nDevice; iDevice++ )
{
dcamcon_show_dcamdev_info( (HDCAM)(intptr_t)iDevice );
}
}

// finalize DCAM-API
dcamapi_uninit(); // recommended call dcamapi_uninit() when dcamapi_init() is called even if it failed.

printf( "PROGRAM END\n" );
return ret;
}

While Running the above code I am Getting the bellow output. But the application couldn't run.

'init_uninit.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\bbbra\camera software\Hamamatsu_DCAMSDK4_v20086083\dcamsdk4\samples\cpp\init_uninit\x64\Debug\init_uninit.exe'. Symbols loaded.

'init_uninit.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll'. Symbols loaded.

'init_uninit.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\kernel32.dll'. Symbols loaded.

'init_uninit.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\KernelBase.dll'. Symbols loaded.

'init_uninit.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\vcruntime140d.dll'. Symbols loaded.

'init_uninit.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\dcamapi.dll'. Module was built without symbols.

'init_uninit.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\ucrtbased.dll'. Symbols loaded.

'init_uninit.exe' (Win32): Unloaded 'C:\Windows\System32\dcamapi.dll'

'init_uninit.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\dcamapi.dll'. Module was built without symbols.

'init_uninit.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\setupapi.dll'. Symbols loaded.

'init_uninit.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\msvcrt.dll'. Symbols loaded.

'init_uninit.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\cfgmgr32.dll'. Symbols loaded.

'init_uninit.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\ucrtbase.dll'. Symbols loaded.

'init_uninit.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\rpcrt4.dll'. Symbols loaded.

'init_uninit.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\bcrypt.dll'. Symbols loaded.

'init_uninit.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\user32.dll'. Symbols loaded.

'init_uninit.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\win32u.dll'. Symbols loaded.

'init_uninit.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\gdi32.dll'. Symbols loaded.

'init_uninit.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\gdi32full.dll'. Symbols loaded.

'init_uninit.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\msvcp_win.dll'. Symbols loaded.

'init_uninit.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\advapi32.dll'. Symbols loaded.

'init_uninit.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\sechost.dll'. Symbols loaded.

'init_uninit.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\shell32.dll'. Symbols loaded.

'init_uninit.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\ole32.dll'. Symbols loaded.

'init_uninit.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\combase.dll'. Symbols loaded.

'init_uninit.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\oleaut32.dll'. Symbols loaded.

'init_uninit.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\psapi.dll'. Symbols loaded.

'init_uninit.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\shlwapi.dll'. Symbols loaded.

'init_uninit.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\version.dll'. Symbols loaded.

'C:\Windows\System32\imm32.dll'. Symbols loaded.

'init_uninit.exe' (Win32): Loaded

'C:\Windows\System32\DCAMAPI\Modules\Digital\dcamdig.dll'. Module was built without symbols.

'init_uninit.exe' (Win32): Unloaded

'C:\Windows\System32\DCAMAPI\Modules\Digital\dcamdig.dll'

'C:\Windows\System32\DCAMAPI\Modules\Digital\dcamdig.dll'. Module was built without symbols.

'init_uninit.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\winmm.dll'. Symbols loaded.

'C:\Windows\System32\DCAMAPI\Modules\Digital\fg1394oh.dll'. Module was built without symbols.

'init_uninit.exe' (Win32): Unloaded

'C:\Windows\System32\DCAMAPI\Modules\Digital\fg1394oh.dll'

'C:\Windows\System32\DCAMAPI\Modules\Digital\fg1394oh.dll'. Module was built without symbols.

'init_uninit.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\hps1394.dll'. Module was built without symbols.

init_uninit.exe' (Win32): Unloaded

'C:\Windows\System32\DCAMAPI\Modules\Digital\dcamdig.dll' The thread 0x3060 has exited with code 1 (0x1). The thread 0x1ac has exited with code 1 (0x1). The thread 0x1280 has exited with code 1 (0x1). The program '[4456] init_uninit.exe' has exited with code 1 (0x1).

Please suggest me where I went wrong.
Also posted here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/65725485/module-was-built-without-symbols-error-occurred-when-tried-to-opening-a-sample

The symbols message is just informational. It's saying you can't step into the DLL calls themselves because the DLL was built without debugging symbols. You'd need to get a debug version of the DLL to debug into the calls, which I'm not sure exists.

However, this is more interesting:
The program '[4456] init_uninit.exe' has exited with code 1 (0x1).

Presumably, init_uninit.exe is referring to your program.
The only place where you set the return value to 1 is:

err = dcamapi_init( &apiinit );
if( failed(err) )
{
    dcamcon_show_dcamerr( NULL, err, "dcamapi_init()" );
    ret = 1;
}

Therefore, if you were to put a break point inside that if-statement, I imagine the debugger will stop there.

In other words, your dcamapi_init call is failing.

My question, since I can't find documentation on this function, is what is its origin? What software kit provides this DLL/API?
Last edited on
Its Hamamatsu's camera driver.
The point of user4581301's comment on the Stack Overflow page was to find documentation for this API to know where there is a function you can call that tells you the reason why the dcamapi_init call fails.

I glanced through Hamamatsu's website and didn't find any obvious documentation for the API publicly available. It looks like you have to sign up for their SDK to see any.
The DCIMG-SDK includes header and library files, API documentation and sample code. The current DCIMG-SDK supports C/C++ with increased language support expected in the near future.

So you need to read their API documentation to know more.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.