No iostream

Is there a way to get something displayed on the terminal window without using iostream.h or any header file
I cant include header files as I am trying to build a very basic hello world kinda OS.
There are basically three ways to output to the console. From higher to lower level: standard output, system calls, and BIOS calls. I'm not really sure if current OSs still use BIOS calls for output. I read about it in a rather old Assembly book, so it may be outdated by now.

Have you read this? http://www.superfrink.net/athenaeum/OS-FAQ/os-faq.html
Take a look at how the grub boot loader does it.
Well if I exclude the fact that I am making an OS, how do I give output input to the computer without any headers.
It's impossible without using inline Assembly or pure Assembly, since you need headers even for system calls (the standard libraries use system calls, BTW).
Last edited on
you can directly post to the address of the console..
i know how to do this on windows.. no idea about linux..

if you want i can post code.. if you ever heard about dancing dolls.. based on the same thing..
If you are writing an OS then you must target specific hardware. This means that you will have to do everything (loading programs, etc) yourself.

There are, however, some convenient I/O interrupt routines you can call in the BIOS.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIOS_call
Chances are you will want to take a look at the functions provided by interrupts 10h, 13h, and 15h. Also make sure you install a 1Bh interrupt handler.

Good luck.
Is there any tutorial on Assembly or any header files that use system calls.
It looks like you are trying to do something way over your head right now.
That OS FAQ that helios posted for you is the first place to start reading.

Good luck!
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
The only thing you can do is try till ya die. I would suggest looking into the core of a Linux OS and see how difficult it is. It's no simple matter. I don't quite understand everything in that section of programming. :$
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.