//int*  ptrNull2 = &a2;

int diff = (int)&ptrNull - (int)&ptrNull2; //12

printf("%lu", sizeof(ptrNull));//4

printf("\n%lu", sizeof(NULL));//4

printf("\n%d", diff);//12

}

||=== Build: Debug in chomework (compiler: GNU GCC Compiler) ===|
main.c||In function ‘main’:|
main.c|18|warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size [-Wpointer-to-int-cast]|
main.c|18|warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size [-Wpointer-to-int-cast]|
main.c|6|warning: unused variable ‘a2’ [-Wunused-variable]|
main.c|5|warning: unused variable ‘a’ [-Wunused-variable]|
||=== Build finished: 0 error(s), 4 warning(s) (0 minute(s), 0 second(s)) ===|

The first two warnings are probably your answer.

Thank you @jib,

But int* has the same output.
#include <stdio.h>

int main()
{
	int a = 5;
	int a2 = 6;

int*  ptrNull = &a;
	int*  ptrNull2 = &a2;

int diff = (int)&ptrNull - (int)&ptrNull2; //12

printf("\n%d", diff);//12

}
What is your compiler and OS? On my Win10 development machine using Visual Studio 2019 I get an output of 3 4s.
Win 10 - 64bit - Visual Studio 2019
Are you compiling in Debug or Release mode? Debug mode aligns memory differently than Release mode.

Debug: the difference is indeed 12.

Release: diff is 4.
For VS2019, I get [4, 4, 12] on x86, and [8, 8, -32] on x64.

Edit: Aha, Furry Guy is right. So for completeness,
- Debug x86: [4, 4, 12]
- Debug x64: [8, 8, -32]
- Release x86: [4, 4, 4]
- Release x64: [8, 8, -8]

In other word: Junk.
Last edited on
#include <stdio.h>
#include <math.h>

int main()
{
	char* ptrNull = NULL;
	char* ptrNull2 = NULL;

const int diff = (unsigned long long)&ptrNull - (unsigned long long)&ptrNull2;

printf("%p  %p\n", &ptrNull, &ptrNull2);
	printf("%i\n", abs(diff));
}

For a 32bit compile:

For a 64bit compile:

What's interesting with my VS2019 compiling as x64 (debug & release) the casts to int fail.
1>C:\Programming\My Projects\Project2\Project2\Source.cpp(17,28): error C2440: 'type cast': cannot convert from 'char **' to 'int'
1>C:\Programming\My Projects\Project2\Project2\Source.cpp(17,13): message : The target is not large enough
1>C:\Programming\My Projects\Project2\Project2\Source.cpp(17,45): error C2440: 'type cast': cannot convert from 'char **' to 'int'
1>C:\Programming\My Projects\Project2\Project2\Source.cpp(17,30): message : The target is not large enough

I had to cast to long long to stifle the dingbat.
That's because you used a C++ compiler which is pickier than a C compiler. My C++ compiler also generates errors, but as C "only" warnings are emitted.

Shervan360 wrote:
But int* has the same output.

A pointer will have the same storage requirements, no matter what data type it points to. A char* and int* has the same size. The only difference is if compiled as 32-bit or 64-bit.
#include <stdio.h>

int main()
{
	printf("%zu, %zu\n", sizeof(char*), sizeof(int*));
}
jlb wrote:
That's because you used a C++ compiler which is pickier than a C compiler.

True, I had my source file extension as .cpp. Change it to .c and VS 2019 stops being so whiny.

Something to remember in the future... Compile C code AS .c code. Not as .cpp code.

And if compiling against C11 or C17 VS 2019 doesn't like disabling language extensions.
Last edited on
Furry Guy wrote:
A pointer will have the same storage requirements, no matter what data type it points to. A char* and int* has the same size. The only difference is if compiled as 32-bit or 64-bit.
Perhaps I'm being too pedantic, but I want to clarify that this restriction is actually from the Visual C++ compiler, and not from the C++ standard itself.

And pointers to member functions can be something other than 4 or 8 even in msvc.
Last edited on
The standard may not mandate the size of pointers, but it isn't just MSVC++ that has pointers be the same size regardless of the fundamental data type being pointed to. MinGW/GCC has the same behavior as MSVC.
#include <iostream>

int main()
{
   unsigned Age    { 30 };
   double   Pi     { 3.1416 };
   char     SayYes { 'y' };

// initialize pointers to addresses of the variables
   unsigned* pUnsigned { &Age };
   double*   pDouble   { &Pi };
   char*     pChar     { &SayYes };

std::cout << "sizeof fundamental types:\n";
   std::cout << "sizeof(unsigned): " << sizeof(unsigned)    << '\n';
   std::cout << "sizeof(double):   " << sizeof(double) << '\n';
   std::cout << "sizeof(char):     " << sizeof(char)   << "\n\n";

std::cout << "sizeof pointers to fundamental types:\n";
   std::cout << "sizeof(pUnsigned): " << sizeof(pUnsigned)    << '\n';
   std::cout << "sizeof(pDouble):   " << sizeof(pDouble) << '\n';
   std::cout << "sizeof(pChar):     " << sizeof(pChar)   << "\n\n";

std::cout << "don't need a variable to get the size of a pointer:\n";
   std::cout << "sizeof(short*):    " << sizeof(short*)  << '\n';
   std::cout << "sizeof(nullptr):   " << sizeof(nullptr) << '\n';
}

The only difference in sizes I can see is the bit-ness compiled against. x86 vs. x64. 4 bytes for fundamental types vs. 8 bytes.

A class member function is different than a fundamental data type. When it comes to classes all bets are off regarding pointer sizes.
a pointer is basically an array index into memory.
if you are on a 32 bit machine (OS, if not hardware) then you can only address 2^32 units of memory. It does not need to be 64 bits, and 16 won't do the job.
This is why a 32bit OS on your new 64GB ram powerhouse can only use 4GB of the memory it holds(!!!).
there is an optimal size for a pointer on the box, which is the number of bytes of ram the machine has. But for portability, they use the max value the OS/hardware can support, which is happily matched to int sizes, and currently, is a 64 bit value.

oddity: with 64 bit, it may actually come to pass that 128 bit machines appear long before we reach even what 64 bits can address in memory, and they may decided to stick to 8 bits if that happens. Always before, the machines could reach the max capacity (see 32 bit and 4gb issue again). You can use a memory manager to go over the limit too (see dos). It uses a second pointer with the first and an extra program/service to manage that -- this is how dos got past the 16 bit limit in the late days on 32 bit machines.
Last edited on
To me, the premise of the question is wrong, because the OP code relies on the 2 variables being placed in adjacent memory locations. Sure, that is very likely going to happen when the 2 assignments happen on consecutive LOC, but one shouldn't rely on that. It would be a different story if they were 2 items in an array.

Basically IMO the question is an obfuscated way of asking: what is the sizeof a pointer.

Furry Guy wrote:
Something to remember in the future... Compile C code AS .c code. Not as .cpp code.

I am sure I read somewhere (Core Guidelines?) that one should compile the C code with a C++ compiler, because C++ is better at dealing with types. I am not sure if VS uses different compilers based on the file extension, conceptually similar to gcc for C, and g++ for c++ ?

Either way, warnings or errors, it's an indication the code is probably wrong.
Last edited on
VS only has the one compiler (cl). Whether it compiles as c or c++ depends upon the file type - .c or .cpp.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.