Searching Vectors of strings for user input values

Pages: 12
This type of program requires first to be designed and then coded. Not like it seems, to first start to do some code and 'see what happens'

Why a vector? If you don't want to use a std::map, what about a std::list?
Hi guys,

Thank you both again for taking the time to help me out with this. I realised I think that i was getting ahead of myself and instead of attempting a "see what happens" approach i need to get back to basics and fully understand what it is that i am trying to do.

Seeplus, I'm not sure necessarily why a vector, it's simply what we were shown at this point of the semester so i made the assumption that's what we were supposed to use. However i'm open to learning about better containers.

Andy, I agree that my classes are either not functioning the way i think they are, or are unfinished completely. I really appreciate the examples and already see lots that I have missed out

I'm going to have another crack at properly designing what i need, and i'll post it here to see what you guys think
This was from an assignment for a unit

I don't know how this assignment is marked, but when I did my CS degree many, many, many moons ago we were marked first on the design and then the coding of the design. In practice, design was handed in and marked first and then changed as per examiners comments. Then the (revised) design was used to code the program. The design mark was 50% of the total mark. So if the design wasn't done and the program just coded, you only got a max of 50% of the marks - which was 1 mark above fail!

why a vector, it's simply what we were shown at this point of the semester so i made the assumption that's what we were supposed to use. However i'm open to learning about better containers.

In that case, it probably was what was expected. However IMO it's not the best container. As per my previous code, I'd be considering using a std::map. http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/map/map/
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 12