What's the best way to learn C++?

I want to know if there are any good tips on the most effective way to learn C++? I have been learning C++ for a couple of months now and I really like it, I `am also learning unreal in conjunction with C++ so I can get to work on making games. I just don`t know if there are any effective ways to learn C++, the way I have been learning it so far is by just typing things like switch statements, loops and etc. over and over again. I `am learning from a book mainly and a course that teaches both C++ and unreal, and I feel like my progress is slow because I `am worried that I might move to fast and forget a lot of stuff and I wont be truly learning anything. If you can share any tips on an effective way to learn I would greatly appreciate it.
work through everything on https://www.learncpp.com/ ... you should spent a lot of time on OOP design and concepts and syntax. Most large programs will be mostly object oriented: there is a time and a place for stand alone functions (called procedural programming) and I love that c++ supports this (many languages force you to have a bogus object just to have an object to have a method in it that should have been stand alone) but most code is not that style.
Which book?
C++ through game programming.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
“Not everyone will understand your journey. That’s fine. It’s not their journey to make sense of. It’s yours.” — Zero Dean

You might get a lot of advice about 'the best way to learn C++' but remember that comes from their journey and it might not fit with yours.

My point of view is that there is learning programming AND learning C++ and you are doing both at the same time. It's kind of like learning to be an architect and a builder.

Getting a good understanding of what is going on at the lowest level might also help you understand what the higher level things are doing. You may be the sort of person that learns best bottom up or the sort that like the top down approach. I personally got a lot of understanding from learning some basic assembly language, gave me a good mental image of what goes on in a computer and when it came to pointers and memory management it made sense.

So I guess the best advice I can give is: Focus on the journey, not the destination.

Topic archived. No new replies allowed.