Linker error 1104: can't open file wxbase31ud.lib

So recently I've decided to try GUI programming with C++, and I have downloaded wxWidgets. I have added the headers to the include path and added the library directory as an additional library dependency, but there's a strange error while linking. I'm using Visual Studio 2019, and it says it can't open the file wxbase31ud.lib. I tried looking the error up but nothing helped. Any suggestions on how to fix this?
Last edited on
Can you show the exact download link/version you used? Are you building wxWidgets yourself or are you using some pre-built distribution?

Are you sure there's not a typo somewhere? Did you mean 'ud' instead of 'ub'?
The U stands for Unicode, I think.
The D stands for Debug.
Last edited on
I meant ud, not ub, thanks for pointing that out. I've edited my original post. I used the prebuilt binaries from https://www.wxwidgets.org/downloads/ and I downloaded the headers and development files.
Based on the error message, I assume you downloaded the 3.1.4 development version, with the VS 2015/2017/2019 binaries. You didn't say whether you downloaded the 32-bit or the 64-bit binaries, but regardless, I imagine the .lib file are in the same places.

If you downloaded wxMSW-3.1.4_vc14x_Dev.7z, the .lib file you're looking for is in
{path to folder}\wxMSW-3.1.4_vc14x_Dev\lib\vc14x_dll\

In your debug linker settings, you have to add that folder to the linker's Additional Library Directories.
I downloaded the 32 bit development files, and I put them in C:\wxwidgets. I have also added the library directory to the linker's Additional Library Directories but it still throws an error.
The same error as before, or a different error?
Yep, same error as before.

LNK1104: cannot open file 'wxbase31ud.lib'
Okay, darn. Can you confirm that the directory you have in the linker's additional library directories actually contains that file? I might have time later to be able to configure it myself using the same steps. I'll let you know if I run into any pitfalls or possible reasons.
I just looked at the directories again and I realized that I was really stupid and put C:\wxwidgets\lib\ instead of C:\wxwidgets\lib\vc14x_dll. Now I have 9 unresolved symbols to deal with.
Edit: Everything works now, thanks @Ganado
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.