needing to create a 32b tcsh.exe that runs in w7 or above

Update/Solution Found:
Took a closer look at the log file revealed that the -mx compile flag was complaining and failing due to unresolved warnings of unused vars ... removing the vars allowed the compile to complete and generate an exe that now runs in W7 ... on to the next challenge ....

Original Details:

Have source code I am trying to compile that is looking to run an included copy of tcsh.exe as part of its processing ... the version of tcsh.exe provided only appears to only run in XP ... I have tried to set compatibility mode for this file but it still fails to run ... I moved all source code to an XP machine but then can't find a copy of p4d that will run on XP. So now attempting to build a 32bit version of TCSH.EXE that can run in W7 or above

Downloaded the source for TCSH (tcsh-6.17.06.tar.gz) and struggling to compile ... have tried Visual 2008, 2016 and 2019, mingw gcc, and eclipse proton cpp ... all fail to compile for differing reasons

Visual fails nmake due to wanting a prebuild done ... removing prebuild from nmake allows the compile to go further (builds numerous obj files) but then fails to create the TC.STR.C object file C2220 error with no idea what the issue is

Proton won't open the project and the migrate VS to Proton Documentation doesn't relate to the version of proton I am using 4.8.0 (not seeing the options described https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/os-ecl-vscdt/ )

mingw32-make fails due to an error with the win32 make file ... online description of the error suggests all make lines need to start with a tab character? (error 35 *** missing separator. Stop)

there is a powershell script that calls the nmake script but it also fails because of the prebuild term
NMAKE : fatal error U1073: don't know how to make 'prebuild'

removing rebuild from the nmake line

tc.str.c(402) error C2220 no object file generated

NMAKE : fatal error U1077 cl.exe return code '0x2'

so ... either need to find a way to compile this TCSH source OR find another windows 32 util that will execute a .tcsh script file so I can attempt to compile this other source
Last edited on
Hello bxdobs,

Starting with a green check means you are finished and most are not likely to read this. Edit the post and change the icon to the (?).

Bumping to the top of the stack, pun intended, may get others to look at it.

Andy

Thanks Andy ... was struggling with this compile ... wrote the post ... then had a eureka moment ... so left the post with the final solution tacked at the top in case others might find it useful
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.