Need help with my code!

Hello! I've been trying to code a random number generator for a text-based combat game, the code compiles but I get the same result every time no matter what, I tried rebuilding the program a bunch of times but it still didn't work. Any idea how to do this?

#include <iostream>
#include <string>
#include <random>
#include <ctime>

using namespace std;

int main()
{

default_random_engine randomGenerator(time(0));

uniform_real_distribution<float> attackRoll(0.0f, 1.0f);

cout << "I am attacking a goblin! ";

float attack = attackRoll(randomGenerator);

if(attack <= 0.3f)
    {
        cout << "I hit the goblin! yasss!\n";
    }
    else
    {
        cout << "I missed the goblin oh nooooo!\n";
    }

return 0;
}

Also, I don't know if this matters but I'm using CodeBlocks.
It's working perfectly. A random number is being generated each time & the appropriate if statement is being executed.

Codeblocks shouldn't matter much, but I think it may use a different compiler. I was using codeBlocks, but I migrated to Virtual Studio; & I'm glad I did. It has a locals window which allows you to view variables as you step-through the code. Seeing in your program that random numbers are being generated.
Try adding a loop so you can see the result of generated random numbers more than one time. Your "hit/miss" test is set low enough that a hit is a very uncommon event:
#include <iostream>
#include <random>
#include <ctime>

int main()
{
    std::default_random_engine randomGenerator(time(0));

std::uniform_real_distribution<float> attackRoll(0.0f, 1.0f);

std::cout << "I am attacking a goblin!\n\n";

for (int i { }; i < 25; i++)
    {
        float attack = attackRoll(randomGenerator);

if(attack <= 0.3f)
        {
            std::cout << "I hit the goblin! yasss!\n";
        }
        else
        {
            std::cout << "I missed the goblin oh nooooo!\n";
        }
    }
}

Nothing wrong with your code that I can see, other than needing a loop.

Personally I'd have gone with a uniform_int_distribution of (0, 10). 3 or less is a hit, 0 is a critical hit. But, of course, YMMV. "Hitting" with an int distribution would still be an uncommon event.
Thanks, I guess I will be switching to VS, oh and I will add the loop!
Use random_device{}() instead of time(0). That will fix your problem.
std::random_device is not fully implemented with MinGW. At least up to and including the MinGW version included with Code::Blocks it is still not working correctly. The entropy of std::random_device with C::B is zero. The series of numbers obtained from a random engine seeded with std::random_device are predictably repetitive and non-random.
https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/numeric/random/random_device/entropy

Code::Blocks, or MSVC, using <ctime>'s time() function does provide somewhat of a changeable seed. The OP's real problem was not obtaining a a sufficient series of random numbers with a particularly low threshhold if condition.

Now, if the OP switches over to VS then std::random_device is a good seed choice.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.