Hey, I'm making a game and I need help

I've never made a program before but I know all C++ and I'm usually pretty good at looking up meanings to things. I am making a game, but I need a senior programmer to help me with the structure of it all. I feel like i can code it all, but i am nervous of the structure as i don't understand all the soruce of games i look at easily..

i have deciphered some things as the time step ((FPS INDUCTION)

axis, front, back and color buffer... ETC... these things.

i am programming this with an entity / component system.

I hope i can find someone experienced with piecing together game elements. I dont need you to hold my hand, just give me a good talk and maybe a list of things to accomplish in my programming. like if i have to do things a certain way.
I don't understand. You've never made a program before but you "know all C++"? Those two statements are mutually exclusive.
Have you programmed before or not? If not, then I think making a game in C++ is going to be quite a challenge for you.
yeah my learning is different... i never really programemd myself but i have compiled some things and i understand c++ really well. my goal is just to get right into game programming but i'm nervous Lol. i don't think it will be too much of a challenge to develop it as i studied a online college class on it and i refresh my knowledge on youtube if i need to. the college clkass was just reading and watching videos though i didnt get a credit for it because i didnt do the work.

i just need something like a mentor.... cause im energetic yet nervous. but im eager too
Sorry, but this is not how it works. If you've never written a program yourself then you don't know how to program. It's as simple as that.

Now, there's nothing wrong with wanting to get straight into game programming, but understand your position. C++ is not a language designed for novice programmers, and game programming (particularly 3D) is a very complex task. You're not just jumping in the deep end, you're jumping in the deep end of shark-infested waters while wearing a lead vest.

If you really want write games, start smaller. Start writing a few 2D games. There's this neat little engine called LÖVE that I'm quite fond of. You should check it out.
https://love2d.org/
the thing is... im so good at C++ right now i dont wanna dull my skills with a game engine... and ive been planning this moment for over 10 years to get where im at. always preparing myself..... planning games.... thats why im so jacked up for game design. i'm fully confident if i had some senior advice i could; make a game right now.

i'm not good at reading books so thats not really an option... and i cant fidn any youtube guides on game design as a process overview
im so good at C++ right now i dont wanna dull my skills with a game engine

I hope we can all agree that this is a troll, or is so severely mentally disturbed as to be beyond help.
His other 2 posts are from 9 years ago: http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/beginner/45908/
Last edited on
Well... Now I'm kind of weirded out.
i'm no troll... i have been trying to learn c++ since 9 years ago... Like I said... Around 10 years... and you think I don't know it?? Sorry dude... this is my moment.. i need a mentor. And by game engine, I dont wanan dull my skills with that Love game engine he suggested and make it without using pure C++ Coding... it's just counterproductive.
Last edited on
I don't think anyone sane waits 9 years to troll. I think he really thinks he learns "differently" and that by understanding different C++ components, he can now code a game.

I'm not sure what to make of someone studying C++ for 10 years and not compiling a single complete program.
Haha. sorry... but i guess thats my learning style. I want to code some graphical engines for my game and code a game... i think it would be great.

when i first joined i needed a lot of help.... now... i don't know how to proceed with programming what i want. I just hope it doesnt take years to understand what to do with game programming... i heard something like... you can learn the syntax and everything (Learned that) but the logic makes you good (Need to learn that)

Looking for game logic/structure mentoring i guess. does that solve anything?

Last edited on
No one would sanely tell you to code your own graphical engine. If it took 10 years to get comfortable enough to just make the decision to code a game, it may take the rest of your life to actually code the game if you're not going to use an already developed game engine..

Looking for game logic/structure mentoring i guess. does that solve anything?

Plenty of people are willing if you'll pay. On this site, post a question if you get stuck somewhere in particular while coding, and someone will help if someone's around who has experience with the particular engine you're using. If you code something like that from scratch, the odds you'll get any useful help when you get stuck are not likely.
there are books and web sites and example code on how to code games.
Lets talk about what goes into a game:
you have file access, graphics, often physics and simulation, sound, UI interface for PC (typically internal windows where players can manage an inventory or make choices or whatever), joysticks/controllers, and often today networking (multiplayer, updates, more) and then there is the game's own logic (rules, maps, whatever defines the game in question, like a first person shooter has maps, items, door/switch type interactions, enemy units with AI components, … so many things).

And then there is tic tac toe, which you can code in a weekend :P so saying 'program a game' could mean using every discipline and skillset known to coders or it could mean hacking something out in a day or two.

And its unclear what 'style' you want the material presented in for your learning needs.

Coding a graphics engine has been asked about several times on this forum. We generally try to explain that the task is exceedingly difficult for a novice to tackle solo, and encourage using an existing one. If someone is determined to make their own we talked about what goes into it etc … look up the threads on that topic in the forum, see if it helps get you started. But as with others, I encourage you to just use an existing engine.
Last edited on
You need to start small, and accept that mistakes will be made. You sound like a perfectionist. "Pure C++ coding" is a meaningless phrase when it comes to making a game. You're going to use some library for creating a window (e.g. Win32, GLFW), and other graphics APIs to actually draw triangles (e.g. OpenGL, DirectX, Vulkan).

I want to code some graphical engines for my game and code a game..
You're putting the cart before the horse.
it's just counterproductive.
What's counterproductive is not making a single program in 9 years...

Check out this post: http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/general/269886/
This is a snake game made by a relatively new programmer. The code might not be pretty, doesn't use a fancy graphics engine, but I believe it works. And even if it didn't work, I'm sure Dee5 learned a good amount just by writing it.

The point being: You have to write code to learn how to code.

You sound like the stubborn sort of fool that would like this series called "handmade hero". (Note: I am not affiliated with it any way, I just know that his series does indeed build a game from the ground up, which it sounds like you're trying to do.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee3EtYb8d1o
Last edited on
"handmade hero"
I like this, ty. I will watch him.

I suppose i am a perfectionist and try to hit the nail on the head.

sorry if i sound like a troll. I definitely don't want to be banned.
Last edited on
OP, everyone here has made good points. If you're not willing to listen then you don't need a mentor. No one wants to mentor someone who's just going to do whatever the hell they want. If you think you're such a hotshot then you don't need to listen to anyone, let alone a mentor, and should be able to figure everything out on your own.
Hey, I'm making a game and I need help

Either get away from your computer and seek professional help, a trained psychiatrist might be of help, or listen to what others here have told you without being a smartass. The collective experience is a lot more time than you've spent on your own.

Using Windows legacy GDI and multi-media to create games is no easy task, but it can be done. The games won't be even close to what professional game companies can make.

I don't know what OS features Mac or Linux have to offer natively for doing sound/music or graphics. I doubt they are a quantum leap above what Windows can do for crude 2D games.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.