How to start / Which language in C++

I like programming but something is hoding me back, i think its because i have no point to focus on, its also really hard for me to choose which language in C++ to use. I really like programming but i need some motivation and a point to work to. Does anyone have any advice also about how to start and actually which Language in c++ you will achieve the most with TY :)
What do you mean 'which language in C++'?

Think of a technique you want to learn. File input/ouput, data organization, networking, graphics. Set small goals for yourself.
I mean like SFML or SLD or OPENGL,,, i dont know where to begin and i could use some advice :/ ty for replying
SFML and SDL are libraries; they provide classes and functions that you can use in your C++ code.

Start by learning C++. Learn what classes and functions are. When you understand C++, then start using these libraries.
So u mean i have to program in the CMD prompt? And then learn what classes and so on are?
Because i dont know how to make a window in C++ only. Is there some way you could help because i need to understand and via this i cant. Also ty for replying :)
You do not 'have' to write console programs, but to do anything else means using a library. C++ is not aware of your operating system, hardware, etc. How does it know you want to use windows or mac or unix? How does it know that you want a gui instead of a console program instead of a full screen graphics window etc? You have to tell it. The default is a console program.

If you want to make a windows GUI program the easy direct path is to get a copy of visual studio and study the tutorials on how to do these things. This isnt pure c++, though, its going to be 90% library calls via c++ and 10% c++ code to put something on the windows (at least at first, it will be this way, later you may have more c++ back-end stuff in a complex program).

You do need to learn about classes. Classes are just a user defined type -- the syntax and interactions can get complicated, of course, but keep that in your mind as to what they are. The GUI building tools for windows are going to be in class form and the bot generated code is going to crank out the shell of a class that you need to fill in.

You are probably getting ahead of yourself and will quickly grow frustrated. You can't build a car with nothing but a couple of rocks you got from the yard for tools. You need to get at least a basic grasp of the language before trying to make a GUI or graphics based program.
Last edited on
Ok i have to learn the basics but, what if i do know then what do i need to do after that? Like which library do you recommend?
Depends what you want to do. If you want to do linear algebra, then LAPACK++ is something to look at, but if you wanted to do network data transfer, that would be less relevant.

There are tens of thousands. Hundreds of thousands. More. So many C++ libraries. We cannot recommend one. You have to decide what you want to do, and then you find a suitable library.
Last edited on
SFML or SLD or OPENGL
Well, for OpenGL there are pretty good tutorials at: http://www.opengl-tutorial.org/

But SFML and SDL are quite different than pure OpenGL. They handle making a window for you, events to that window, keyboard input, mouse input, audio, etc. OpenGL is just a relatively low-level API to communicate with your graphics card in a cross-platform way.

If you just want to have fun playing around with a window and some simple graphics, go with SFML or SDL (personally I like SFML better but it's just a matter of opinion). Later on, you can try out different graphics libraries or GUI libraries.
Last edited on
Is it recommend to learn the basics on C++ or should i go back to C#?
There is no supreme council that recommends one language over another. It's your preference.
You're on a C++ forum... so I imagine most people would suggest C++ here.

I like C#. They both have theirs pros and cons. There's nothing stopping you from being familiar with both C++ and C#. Try both out and see which one you find easier.
Last edited on
Is it recommend to learn the basics on C++

You will find programming in C++ to be very, very difficult if you don't know the basics of it.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.