Someone help me choose a compiler!!!

closed account (18REwA7f)
Hello guys,

I am now forced to do a C++ assignment that is not for Windows OS. The code given excessively uses features that I believe they are only available on Linux.

Can you help me choose the right Linux OS to download and the right C++ compiler to download? I would really appreciate it!!!

Many thanks in advance.
The most famous linux distro is ubuntu, some prefer mint, some prefer some other like kali

for the compiler part IMO the best will be g++

on a second thought

The code given excessively uses features that I believe they are only available on Linux.

...like?
#include <unistd.h>
#include <curses.h> 
I do not want a command line compiler!!! I want something that looks nice like Visual Studio!!!
code blocks then I suppose...

http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/general/202669/
Tantum wrote:
I do not want a command line compiler!!! I want something that looks nice like Visual Studio!!!

You have some options for IDEs -- Code::Blocks is one; Eclipse, Jetbrains, Netbeans, are potential alternatives.
If you are familiar with Microsoft's Visual Studio, their editor (but not the full IDE) is available under Linux.

I can't offer a decent recommendation for a Linux IDE -- I've tried many and disliked all of them, coming from Emacs.

On the other hand, I can offer a recommendation for a Linux distribution. If you are a beginner to Unix-like systems, choose either Linux Mint or Ubuntu.

These distributions purposefully minimize the technical knowledge required to get a working system running, and they have things configured in a more-or-less Windows-friendly way -- CUA controls, for example, are configured by default.

One note -- libcurses support and unistd.h aren't Linux features, but POSIX features (although libcurses is just a library, so POSIX support isn't necessarily required). The POSIX standard is supported in some capacity by essentially every system that's not Microsoft Windows. You might be able to get by with an Apple system if you choose to drink the kool-aid, but any Unix variant is probably sufficient to get your code to run.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.