Architectural GUI/ Geometry Kernel/ Library.

What would be the best route to achieve this?

I'm looking for a pre-assembled architectural GUI. Something where the majority of the UI has already been assembled; windows & some menus etc... which contains architectural snapping features & drawing actions/ procedures; such as drawing a line, a circle & that's about it really. I'm not trying to make Autocad. I was looking at https://www.cgal.org/index.html but it looks like I'd be building it all from scratch, & I don't think I have time for that really, however given the amount of CAD programmes out there already, I'm suprised there isn't a bit of a framework on this.

Alternative options - create a plug-in for AutoCad.Net API https://youtu.be/WYj0J-DrCSA but I'm not even sure if this an option as it'd have to be on AutoCad TrueView & this app is slimmed-down version of their feature-rich app. So it's likely that Trueview will not allow the drawing of a line/ circle.
Also another bad point is that I can only work in cad files in Trueview, & the vast majority of time the user will receive pdf files.
I understand that you are looking for open source C++ code that would provide future rich "architectural" programming?

You have too high expectations from open source, but lucky you because Unreal engine 4 introduced just that, yes it is a game engine, but since recently it's used for architectural design too, it's open source, and you have project templates too.

Here is a direct link for "architecture" development in UE4:
https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/industry/architecture

Let me know if that work for you!
Last edited on
Hi malibour, thanks for your link. It doesn't necessarily need to be open-source, but open-source is preferred if possible. I don't think it's expecting too much as there are many, many threads about not reinventing the wheel with this kind of thing.

Is the unrealengine more of a graphics rendering package? That looks to be more about processing existing data for display purposes & fancy animations? Not geometry creation.

Sorry I'm a noob on this subject.
That looks to be more about processing existing data for display purposes & fancy animations? Not geometry creation.

There is no existing GFX data (except in marketplace, some free some not), you'll have to create most of the things by yourself overall.

There is no geometry you can't draw really, the problem is only that the learning cure is really high.

By sound of your description you are looking for easy to use stuff, something that focused only on architecture and is half complete, where your job is to do the other half.

Sorry I'm not aware of such library because libraries are usually distinct from GUI editors.
GUI editors often require payment.

edit:
not relevant, but I just want to say there are many reasons why people should and do reinvent the wheel, the problem is that the term "reinvent the wheel" is facing bad reputation, story mostly told on internet forums by people who never made something on their own.
Last edited on
Thanks malibour, I'm quite suprised with this.

By sound of your description you are looking for easy to use stuff, something that focused only on architecture and is half complete, where your job is to do the other half.

Exactly right, really suprised there isn't a framework out there for this containing basic geometry creation. There are tutorials on youtube of a guy creating some geometry in his own GUI in C++ which is quite helpful. I'm going to have to create my own geometry files & hook this up with cGal for advanced interpolation, area & volume calculation.

There is no existing GFX data (except in marketplace, some free some not)

Sorry this seems a bit ambiguous, I don't understand what you're saying here. I think you're saying that at the moment there are no GUI pre-assembled apps linked with geometry libraries (like cGal). I'm going to have to create my own. Again this is really suprising.One can understand with advanced geometry creation, but I would have thought there would be something out there that at least has a window, & zooming functions incorporated with some menus and the like.

Thanks again for your input.
There is no existing GFX data (except in marketplace, some free some not)
Sorry this seems a bit ambiguous, I don't understand what you're saying here.

Unreal engine hosts a marketplace where people share and sell their GFX resources, it's owned by the company and you can search and buy assets.

but I would have thought there would be something out there that at least has a window, & zooming functions incorporated with some menus and the like.

Making you your own surely won't be easy, but you can save yourself from a lot of trouble by reusing various open source "components", for example at a minimum you will need:

1. Rendering engine (ex: https://www.ogre3d.org/ )
2. Good GUI Framework (ex: http://cegui.org.uk/content/getting-started )

And just to glue all components together could be a pain, but far less than writing all by yourself.

Often the biggest problem is that you're alone on this so it's going to take time.
Last edited on
Thanks malibor, that's very helpful. I'm not aware of what's out there at all so I'm extremely grateful of the info & input you've provided. Sorry I dismissed the unreal engine as it sounded like you work for them lol.

I'm just starting out in C++, have some experience in VBA, HTML, CSS but I'm not a full-time coder as I'm sure you can tell. I'm just working my way through tutorials on Youtube atm & experimenting trying to absorb the info fully so I have a sound understanding.

I've become fascinated with how a computer works in the past few years & becoming more fascinated every day. I now have a need for a software programme I have in my professional career which I would like to build asap; but suffer constraints with the daily grind.

I only have around an hour a night to work on it when things get back to normal. Do you think I am dreaming?
At the moment with the current pandemic I'm working around 14 hours a day trying to absorb as much C++ as I can, but could be called back to work any day. I see it as a very constructive interest, though the interest is consuming me. I found I couldn't sleep at all last night, thinking of different ways to populate classes & objects in c++ lol.
Last edited on
I definitely feel your excitement about programming! and no I don't think you're dreaming.

I started by buying a book in local language some 15 years ago, and since them programing become my hoby, sometimes I spend whole night fighting the keyboard lol.

However 1h a day is too little IMO, because I know when you work a lone time is the biggest problem.

learning and practice takes a lot of time, and then to actually make something that will be useful takes even more time and patience.

Rule No. 1 is to never give up, because if you do, you lose valuable time which is so scarce.

Thanks malibor, yeah I thought 1 hour a day is pretty slim, if only I didn't have to work for a living life would be so sweet lol.

I could probably get another 7 hours in over the weekend. I don't think I'm going to have a life for the next decade or so until I get this software fully-written & functional.
I have most of the control-flow & logic-gates in an Excel spreadsheet. At least that's something I suppose, they'll need to be adjusted a little, but the main-flow is certainly there (to do with my calculations at least).

Thanks again for your input, it has been greatly appreciated. I look forward to corresponding with you again on the forum.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.