a letter character else when Alt or Shift key + a letter key is pressed

What software let us have a letter character else when Alt or Shift key + a letter key is pressed for about 13-15 keys?

Up to the point that is creating new input method: a reliable single (right) handed keyboard capability

if Shift key + letter, the shift function is done by Ctrl+Shift to register upper case letter Please give correct solution
its a different signal from the hardware when you use the shift keys (shift, ctrl, alt, win/apple/other, numlock, whatever). unfortunately cin does not recognize this fact, and so you have to use either low level assembly code or a third party library (which is using inline assembly code, most likely). There may be a way to get the real signal from the keyboard, but I do not know how to do it easily.
I don't think you can get a "real signal from the keyboard" directly in a normal user-space program. Whether you are programming in C/C++ or in Assembler language doesn't make a difference in this regard. I think you would have to write a kernel-module and load it into the Linux kernel in order to get this kind of "low-level" hardware access. But that would require a deep understanding of kernel hacking and the hardware.

(and, of course, it would be very hardware-specific and non-portable)

Fortunately, the Linux kernel already provides an user-space interface to the keyboard, as a device file:
/dev/input/by-path/<youir_name_here>-kbd

Minimal example:
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <linux/input.h>

#define KEYMAP_SIZE ((KEY_MAX / 8) + 1)

int main()
{
	char key_map[KEYMAP_SIZE];
	FILE *kbd = fopen("/dev/input/by-path/platform-i8042-serio-0-event-kbd", "r");
	if (!kbd)
	{
		fputs("Error Failed to open keyboard device!\n", stderr);
		return EXIT_FAILURE;
	}
	for (;;)
	{
		memset(key_map, 0, sizeof(key_map));
		ioctl(fileno(kbd), EVIOCGKEY(sizeof(key_map)), key_map);
		for (size_t i = 0; i < KEYMAP_SIZE; ++i)
		{
			printf("%02X", key_map[i]);
		}
		puts("\n");
		usleep(100000);
	}
	return EXIT_SUCCESS;
}

Above code dumps the current state of all keys (including Shift, Ctrl and Alt), in regular intervals. If you are interested in a specific key, then you just need to extract the proper bit from the key_map array.

Note: You may need to run this with sudo, otherwise permission to the keyboard device may be denied.
Last edited on
hah, I had forgotten that existed -- too little unix time last few years.
directinput or whatever it morphed into may support 'close enough' for windows; it may not do it all (?) but it traps the special keys and even maps numeric pad vs normal keys or which (left or right) shifter you hit.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.