Linux Sucks

Pages: 123456
I don’t think they were being logical neither sucked if they did people would not buy them

Most people don't know much about cars. You wouldn't buy a Chevy if you wanted a car pretty much guaranteed to last 100K+ miles.

I usually watch Scott Kilmer on youtube to learn about cars ;o

What you learn from him is to buy Toyota lmao.
Any car* will go 100K+ miles if you take care of it.

*Well, okay, some cars are junk from the start. Don’t buy next year’s model car new off the lot.

Modern cars are, unfortunately, being made cheaper. My wife’s 2003 F150 pickup is a nice truck, but all the plastics holding the spark and fuel injection stuff together on top of the engine is literally falling apart. I’m currently holding it together with zip ties. That’s the consequence of junk engineering / materials science.
toyota is top quality for sure. mom's first gen prius still going, and there are corolla's out there that are decades old with crazy mileage.

junk materials is a win/win for them. Making stuff outta all steel, and it runs forever ... our 66 galaxy still going strong, if you can afford to put gas in a 7 liter car engine. Only problem it ever really had was the lack of lead in the gas ... wasn't designed for that change. People don't want to pay for all steel cars that run for 500k miles, and car makers would be outta business if they kept that up too. So they make cheap plastic, it breaks and gets replaced, people are happier with cheap, ... never seen a culture so obsessed with short lifespan junk, but at least in the US we have been groomed to think that everything is disposable, buy it, use it, break it, buy again.
I just found a hilarious Linux meme

https://imgur.com/a/yfMKN9t
... never seen a culture so obsessed with short lifespan junk
Planned obsolescence is imposed on us all. We don't choose to by a light bulb with a short lifetime, we have no choice.

Toyota is top quality for sure.
To focus on the materials is kinda missing the point. Toyota won so many Deming awards for quality, I remember departments going for them back in the day. Anyone can make cheap crap, but cheap that lasts; there's a trick.
We don't choose to by a light bulb with a short lifetime, we have no choice

This is why market competition is a good thing. If people see that a company is selling long-lasting light bulbs, they'll buy those instead, forcing other companies to make better bulbs or lose customers.

I've only ever seen 2 or 3 light bulbs give out my whole life. Those things last a LONG time and are very cheap at any grocery store.

I'm almost certain that most people who buy light bulbs do so either to renovate their new/old home, to change colors/brightness, for a new lamp, and a million other reasons rather than because an old bulb gave out.

I'm sure mentioning light bulbs may just have been an analogy, but companies WILL suffer profit hits if they push the limits on their quality. This is why people buy Honda/Toyota, they make great quality cars that last forever.
This is why market competition is a good thing. If people see that a company is selling long-lasting light bulbs, they'll buy those instead, forcing other companies to make better bulbs or lose customers.
Doesn't work. Stasi records show GE has been doing it forever, the "market" doesn't work the way you suggest, lower lifetime doesn't lower the production cost, the opposite it true. Who'd guess that the bulbs were designed this way? You'd be considered a conspiracist if these thoughts come naturally to you.

I've only ever seen 2 or 3 light bulbs ...
Yeah, I get that, they've been outlawed in the EU for a long time now. But the light bulb is just an example.

This is why people buy Honda/Toyota, they make great quality cars that last forever.
Dunno 'bout Honda, and Toyota when thru a spell some years back when they focused on quantity, and paid heavily in reputational damage and recalls.
Actually misspoke. I've only seen one regular light bulb give out ever. Most my life we've been using CFL bulbs and I've seen 1 of those burn out I believe - and it was very old. My dad cheaps out and buys cheap LED bulbs, but haven't seen one die yet.

I'm pretty sure I've seen more light bulbs simply get dropped and shatter at home than them going out. God knows how old these bulbs are, have just been going from one lamp to another for years as needed.

Doesn't work. Stasi records show GE has been doing it forever, the "market" doesn't work the way you suggest, lower lifetime doesn't lower the production cost, the opposite it true

These bulbs last an awfully long time for being designed to fail! I'd say, at worst, they might be cheaping out on specific components of the bulb that they predict will have a certain likelihood of making it fail a few years earlier than usual.

Dunno 'bout Honda, and Toyota when thru a spell some years back when they focused on quantity, and paid heavily in reputational damage and recalls.

I believe Toyota had recalls due to a new transmission design that had a fault - its why you wait a few years instead of buying the newest models right away.
I've only ever seen 2 or 3 light bulbs give out my whole life.

A babe in diapers!

I've had numerous incandescent bulbs burn out over the years before CFLs were introduced.

While CFLs last longer, use less energy vs. an incandescent bulb for the same number of lumens, they do eventually burn out. More than a few had to be replaced over the years.

Another potential drawback to CFLs is many are not "instant on," they start out being rather dim and take some time to get to full brightness.

LEDs do fail. I had to replace one a while back at the top of a 2 story stairwell. Doing that was a PITA! I've replaced a couple of other LEDs as well.

I have found 300 watt (equivalent) LEDs, but the suckers are HUGE! And they get HOT!

I like 3 way bulbs for many of my table lamps. Being the old fart that I am I need at least 50/100/150 (watt equivalent), though prefer 50/200/250. No CFL or LED that I know of comes in that range. Only incandescent bulbs.
The LED bulbs last a while. But not as long as I had expected. I replace 5 or so a year and have been since they all but banned normal bulbs, first in favor of the mercury toxin ones (result of climate change junk science), and now led (result of actual engineering, which I approve of).
there is no reason for the LED ones to die, but they do, something in them is cheap, and I would not put it past them to have a suicide timer (print cartridges do, had a guy who bypassed one in our electronics lab and got another 3 months of printing, it was just on a timer telling the PC it was 'empty').
bigclivedotcom on YouTube is takes a look at the internals of cheap 'crap' electronics and why they fail...he also carbonates alcohol for fun...
I've had numerous incandescent bulbs burn out

We really didn't have many of those.

I don't believe they banned incandescent bulbs in the U.S., but I haven't seen many of them. I have some attached in the bathroom, but they've been unscrewed just enough so that they don't turn on.

The CFL and LED bulbs I've had have been very reliable. For years, at least 4-5, I've had a lamp next to my desk. I'm about 80% sure that its the same bulb in there all these years. Though I did have one on my dresser, and that CFL bulb died and I replaced it.

Another potential drawback to CFLs is many are not "instant on," they start out being rather dim and take some time to get to full brightness

That's what I read, but haven't noticed anything like that with any CFL light I've had.
incan bulbs' lifespan is tied to on/off cycles, power spikes, production quality.
- if you leave them on all the time, they last for a very long time. 10s of decades, in some cases.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centennial_Light#:~:text=The%20Centennial%20Light%20is%20the,the%20Livermore%2DPleasanton%20Fire%20Department.

- power spikes can kill them. The filament is delicate. A good shake/drop, power spike, or other trauma can cause it to break off the poles or in half.

- production quality. if air gets in there, it burns instead of glowing, on top of its physical resistance to breaking either off the poles or in the middle.

My dad stored several cases thinking they would be gone forever when the toxic ones came out, and about 3/4 of them are DOA in the box. Just sitting there, they went bad, that is. He should have splurged on some higher quality ones.
Wow. This thread went from "Linux sucks" to "cars" to "incandescent lightbulbs."

Guess that's the Internet for you.

Windows hands you a gun with the safety on while Linux hands you a loaded gun that can shoot if you look at the trigger hard enough.

Hah! That's pretty good. Although I just want to add that "Apple puts the gun in a locked safe and throws away the key."

Grey Wolf wrote:
bigclivedotcom on YouTube is takes a look at the internals of cheap 'crap' electronics and why they fail...he also carbonates alcohol for fun...

Sounds like something I'd watch. Along with Ordnance Labs, the Slow-Mo Guys, Demolition Ranch, and Kentucky Ballistics. Not to mention Garand Thumb.

Duthomhas wrote:
Any car* will go 100K+ miles if you take care of it.

My 1968 Jeep CJ5 is still going. It's got the original 225 Buick V6, and an upgraded high-rise intake and Holley 4-barrel carb. That thing has to have about 300K miles on it. I replaced one quarter-panel last year after my kid backed it into a tree on a trail. But hey, if you didn't grow up doing dumb stuff in a Jeep, you haven't truly lived.

And if anyone was wondering, Garand Thumb did actually give himself garand thumb. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssvZWdu4sZ0
This thread went from "Linux sucks" to "cars" to "incandescent lightbulbs."

And this is remarkable, how? And/or why?

Even in the non-lounge parts of the fora here thread creep happens. It ain't uncommon in other online hang-outs as well.
It's not remarkable in the least. I just think it's really funny.
Cars could have Linux kernel in their embedded systems, but discussion was more on the iron content than navigator updates.
There are "smart bulbs". What do they run?
millennials lol. "save the environment, use less electricity" -- I give you the smart light bulb, which uses power when off!
The bulbs do not seem to have an OS. You can probably hack a micro linux onto them -- that is a big hobby apparently -- but out of the box, no.
"save the environment, use less electricity"

Not in Washington state! They're all "save the environment, use electricity, not gas" which I think is just a bit counterintuitive.
thats the media talking. the coal used in electricity is the hardest, cleanest burning type, and its ground into a very, very fine powder and blown into the furnace where it explodes (like grain dust in a silo) to get as much from each speck as possible. The smoke is filtered, and time it gets to the air, its cleaner than people think. The media has them thinking of 1800s soft coal used in homes and such with the heavy black smoke.

Gas is clean too, mostly makes water and co2, depending on the type. The downside is only how to mine it.
Last edited on
Pages: 123456