This could get interesting....

Pages: 123
He said that they even pay some dude to walk around the block and inspect everyone's yards to make sure they comply.
LOL. Instead of collectively paying a gardener to maintain everyone's yards.

I remember growing up in North Idaho, where everyone had a few junk cars in their yard, weeds everywhere, and rusty metal and scrap heaps lying around. The times they are a-changin...
From what I understand, that's never stopped happening.
I remember this news from a few years ago about this guy who was squatting in pretty much a mansion that was owned by a bank after being foreclosed or something. If he had kept his shit low-key, after a few years the house would've become his. The guy just couldn't help himself and had a bunch of junk in front of the house, including literally a busted car on bricks. It seems someone drove by the house, figured out someone was living in it when they shouldn't have been, and they kicked him out.
You can take the redneck out of the backwoods but not the backwoods out of the redneck, it seems.
Last edited on
You can take the redneck out of the backwoods but not the backwoods out of the redneck, it seems.

Got that right. I can't help having an old rusty El Camino and a pickup out in the yard (I'm going to get around to fixing them up one of these days). Must be hereditary or something.
So true. Even relatively well to do and well educated, I still end up there at times. Not into the yardcar but I've built a table out of scap 2x4s rather than buy one and for 3 or 4 years I had a monitor with half the bottom plastic stuff broken off (I did that, because it quit working so I busted it open and pulled out the bad control board to resurrect it, and the only way in was destruction due to glue). My computer desk is a teletype table with a big split in the wood full of concrete repair...
Last edited on
I've built innumerable tables/chairs/workbenches/etc out of scrap wood I buy from the local lumberyard or Home Depot (although prices there are borderline insane). My first workbench I built out of 2x6's and a piece of nice-ish plywood. I painted it blue with some old house paint and varnished the top, and it sat in my room for about 8 years getting a lot of hard use from taking apart various electronics, hot-gluing junk random parts together to make Star Wars blasters, beating on things, and cutting stuff up.

Sometimes I miss being a kid. And then I go out to the garage and bang on things and hot-glue together random crap to make Star Wars blasters...
Sometimes I miss being a kid

Me too
I don't miss being a kid. What I do miss is being a young adult. Smart, good looking, lots of potential to make money.....

Oh, who am I kidding, I never had that.
Smart, good looking, lots of potential to make money.....

I was going to ask for a picture LOL
@zapshe,

You can always ASK, just don't expect much.

Besides, at 62 even if I had been I ain't any more.
At 53, me neither. I grew up with glasses, skinny, and a nerd. Now I still have glasses, but now Dunlaps Disease and bifocals are my issues. Fortunately, my wife doesn't care.

Nah, I wish I was somewhere around 7-8 years old, before my uncle moved to Vermont and we couldn't mess around on his farm anymore. We had a lot of fun there, it had been my grandparents' farm back in the 60's, and it had an old barn full of rusty junk we would mess around with.
Last edited on
kids are great on a farm. you can give them stupid crap to do that helps out and they think they are playing. my great uncle had some kind of corn husking device, crank operated (it wasnt a commercial farm, just grow your own food for a family of 20 old school style) and the kids would crank corn thru it all day, it never got old...

I don't miss being a kid, but I could stand 20 again. The only way I would go back to being 7-10 is if I knew what I know now, and could tell off all the dumbass adults from my childhood (and there were a TON of them).
Ditto... :-/
kids are great on a farm. you can give them stupid crap to do that helps out and they think they are playing.

That's what my dad did to me and my brother. I swear, for the longest time, I thought milking cows was fun. I thought using the cream separator was fun. I thought butchering sheep was fun (well, that not so much). And then, around 14 or 15, I started realizing hey, this is WORK! And then the only things that were fun anymore were messing around in the treehouse we built (building it was "fun" too) and taking photos with my dad's camera.
An interesting update on China's crackdown on Bitcoin, if the story is true.

This is the true scale of China’s bitcoin exodus. - https://www.wired.co.uk/article/china-bitcoin-mining-crackdown

Wide-spread recurring power outages certainly wouldn't help the mining or the miners.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 123