Hello again...

Pages: 1234
Hey, I remember you! :O)

It pleases me that you are doing well.
The Grey Wolf wrote:
Sorry, I meant that people used to hang out in the lounge and chat about all shorts of thing other than coding.

My memory is that those kinds of threads would mostly be started by some of the more... eccentric members of the site. People who would get a serious bee in their bonnet about something new every day, and spin out thread after thread that would get people just begging to disagree with whatever the rant du jour was.

These days, the most eccentric posters just seem to be outright trolls, spewing dull abuse, rather than interestingly bonkers posts.
Last edited on
I remember this one guy who was into some new age crap or another. Or remember that xoreaxeax guy and the thread about factorial performance in native vs Java?
I can safely say that even if those users you describe, helios, weren't before my time here I don't remember any of the weirdly demented stuff you talk about.

I don't know if that is a good thing or not.
It was a good while ago, yes. It was fun. That time I learned that you can compute factorials faster by interleaving the multiplication over several threads and then multiplying the products together, and it'll be faster even if you use several threads per core.
I had to sort of necro this to say hi! Many names I remember in this thread!

I still have my cplusplus.com shirt from forever ago; does anyone else still have that?

I feel my sites that I log into for random browsing have shifted from here and gamefaqs to youtube and discord lol.
They were selling shirts?

And welcome to the America Grey Wolf, I wasn't around when you posted this. Remember that physical hobbies/exercise is a great way to keep yourself from crashing down.
twicker gave some away to some members a few years ago.
They were selling shirts?
they were given to the regulars. I think a supporter donated them.

http://cplusplus.com/forum/lounge/14628/
Last edited on
That's pretty cool, I was 8 years old back then xD I was missing out on a C++ shirt.
I had no idea it was so long ago.
Oh, well I actually misspoke. I was 9, few months away from 10.
helios wrote:
Am I the only one who'd like the computer to organize my files exactly the way I'd do it?

Nope! I actually wrote a script (several years ago when I could still write scripts) to automatically back up ALL of my files to a NAS that I have in my basement, and to another one I have in my office, and finally to a third in my vacation home in *undisclosed location* because there's a saying "If it isn't in three places, it doesn't exist."

This is all because I am completely paranoid that there'll be a [insert enormous natural disaster] that destroys all of my files and I have to begin my life all over again from scratch.

Of course, I still have my photo albums and scrapbooks from 40 years ago...

Good to see you again, Grey Wolf!

helios wrote:
you can compute factorials faster by interleaving the multiplication over several threads and then multiplying the products together, and it'll be faster even if you use several threads per core.

*POP*

Now I know what it feels like to blow a fuse...
Heh, wearing my shirt right now, actually...
Huh, nice to see some people here who were answering my questions more than 10 year ago. IIRC Grey Wolf, you were mostly answering questions in Windows section.

My first post was May 3, 2009 at 9:47am, answered by helios. 2009. Now I feel old.
Yay, Null is still around! :O)
Uncle if this is REALLY you, then I would kill for the same come back. I see Duoas, Null, helios and dear God, where the hell have you been firedraco??? The only one missing here is chrisname and maybe Alby but she has always been mercurial about her tag; I might have missed someone, I'm sorry if I did, I can think of exactly one that I left unnamed.

I really hope this is my return 0 as well. I've burned too much time doing nothing. Fighting with sentient haircuts. refactoring the same SQL reports. I want things to go back to how they were and if twicker is here, please open a C# board for this occasion. Solemn 9/11 my friends.

EDIT: The one not mentioned was NOT ne555. He should be included in those who I miss.
Last edited on
Albatross posted in the last page.
I kinda miss tition and his ridiculous function names.
ne555 is still around too.
I haven't programmed in C++ in a looong time now. ._.

Apparently I joined in 2008, back in high school. Wow.
Pages: 1234