Complaints Obviously

Pages: 12
You can install 2019 in addition to 2017. If you are up for it try installing 2019 and then checking if the configuration item is present.

I know I'd be tempted to 'waste the time' so the VS 2019 has the option available. It will glom onto a largish bit of HD space having both VS editions installed. Hopefully only temporarily.
Yea, that's what I meant. I had VS2019 installed, and installed 2017 next to it. And that let the option appear on VS2019. But no reason to keep VS2017 installed, so hopefully it won't undo everything if I do.

EDIT: Uninstalled 2017 and nothing broke. Inconvenient hack for 2019 ;-;
Last edited on
I'm pleased you finally got the fool thing to do what you want. Congrats. :)

Until recently I'd had both 2017 & 2019 installed myself. I used both, though more 2019 than 2017. After a couple of weeks of not using 2017 I fired it up and got major installation errors that forced 2017 to shut down prematurely. Even doing a repair didn't solve the issue.

Since 2017 is nearing end of service life and only getting security fixes for the most part I decided to uninstall 2017.

I had installed the core on my D:\ drive, yet the install had deposited around 8GBs on both C:\ and D:\. *ouch*

Doing a modification (removal) to the installed packages for 2019 for previous SDKs I never really used and nearly 3GBs on my C:\ drive got freed up.

2019 will likely be superseded by a newer VS version (hopefully they retain the free Community edition) so when that gets released I'll have it installed in parallel for a while.

I'd like to have VS 2021. :D
I had installed the core on my D:\ drive, yet the install had deposited around 8GBs on both C:\ and D:\. *ouch*

I remember doing that with my last laptop.

Being the first time I've used 2019, its weird to think of going to an even newer Visual Studio!
I started out using VS 2015 Community a couple of months after it was officially released. Finally MS had released a version of VS that was decently rich in features that didn't cost an arm and a leg for people who weren't part of a software company.

A couple of days after the official release of VS 2017 I glommed onto it. When VS 2019 was released I dumped 2015 and installed 2019. So I've been using it a couple of days after initial official release.

2017 and 2019, especially 2019, kept making UI changes with each update. I prefer using the keyboard to navigate the interface instead of all the mouse clicks. What used to work before an update (tab, down-arrow, down-arrow, enter for example) morphed into (tab, down-arrow, enter).

Yes, a minor issue, but it gets annoying when my fingers on auto-pilot doing common tasks have to be retrained for the new sequence.
The one thing we definitely don't need is more lawyers/attorneys.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 12