New Boost version, update Visual Studio directories

New boost version (1.74) and now I need to add the include and lib library directories to Visual Studio (2017 & 2019) to the default search paths.

Thanks to zapshe and Helios for explaining how to do this:
http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/lounge/271176/

Ugh! I haven't used 2017 in quite some time. MAJOR problems with core missing configurations and files. LOTS of time to repair the install makes me think it is time to unistall 2017 and just use 2019.
Even after the repair and reboot am still getting configuration errors. Buh-bye 2017.
Even after the repair and reboot am still getting configuration errors. Buh-bye 2017.

It's funny (in a sick sort of way, you see...) that given the enormous amount of money and engineering time being dumped into VS, the damn thing still won't stay working through an update.

I've become quite disillusioned recently.
What's really annoying is I installed 2017 to a custom location on my D:\ drive instead of C:\. Some core files required being installed on C:\. I understand that.

After uninstalling my C:\ drive 'recovered' almost 7GBs of space, over 7GB on D:\. *Ouch*

the enormous amount of money and engineering time being dumped into VS

2019 gets the attention currently, 2017 is the red-headed step-child. Yes, it still gets security issue updates, but not performance updates like 2019 does. I doubt 2017 will be fully C++20 compliant when the standard is finally formalized and issued.

In my admittedly limited experience 2019 has better performance lately while 2017 was increasingly becoming a dinosaur. Sluggish response, etc.

I doubt I would have uninstalled 2017 if configuration problems hadn't happened.

The real "fun" was updating the file type associations to use 2019 instead of VS 2010 or Dev-C++. *ugh*
Some core files required being installed on C:\. I understand that.

But VS is just an editor.

Sure, it talks to a debugger and compiler and git, but so does Vim, which weighs in at a whopping 1400 Kb. Yes, kilobytes, and that's the GUI version. It loads instantaneously, responds immediately, works anywhere. Updating it is as trivial as replacing the old executable with the new one.

What does it say about the software industry when Microsoft's premier development tool is a tremendous bloated mass that hardly works?
VS is not just an editor. It is an entire development system. Editor, compiler, debugger, revision control system and run-time system for more than just one language. Console and Win32.

C/C++ isn't installed by default, the packages have to be manually selected either on initial setup or added later.
VS as a software suite, sure. But devenv.exe - the interface - is just an editor with some tool integration, possibly with a debugger built-in. The C++ compiler is separate, for example.

I don't think I have particularly demanding requirements. All I do with devenv.exe now is
a.) poke about in projects that rely on msbuild.exe, and
b.) debug the occasional C++ codebase.
But I'm lucky if the IDE manages to load any given project in a reasonable amount of time, and the debugger's watch tab updates too slowly to be usable.

I like to think most of the 7GB is spent on assets, but honestly disk space is not that big of a concern.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.