• Forum
  • Lounge
  • Calulators digitial signature was not pr

Calulators digitial signature was not present?

Hey guys, so for the past couple of days I suspected that I had malware on my pc so I decided to format my disk drive and reinstall windows 10, anyway I noticed something strange... calculator.exe is running in the background but let me walk you through the timeline.

I noticed calculator.exe was running as a background task on my windows 10 machine with process explorer, a few days later I noticed a very strangely named executable appear, I searched malware engines but no malware engines regognised the executables name also this executbles properties were all n/a, could maybe just been a rougue process or process that crashed ? I'm not sure but I decided to play it safe, formatted my disk drive and then reinstalled windows 10 from a live USB,

After I reinstalled windows 10, I again sparadically checked process explorer and observed that calculator.exe was not running in the background, problem solved right? well today I plugged a flashdrive/pendrive into my pc and noticed again calculator.exe was appeaaring as a background process BUT let me back track a bit... before I inserted the flashdrive I did open Calculator to do a few calculations(obviously), but I noticed after the flash drive was inserted Calculator.exe would start up again as a background process ( flashdrive ejected at this stage ), I examined Calculator.exe and it had the following properties:

-It's digital signature was not present ( could not be verified by proc explorer)
-It's parent process was svchost.exe
-It's commandline section says "C:/Program Files/WindowsApps/[Calculator version] -ServerName:App.AppXsm3pg4[skip some of it to shorten time].mca
It's path is C:/Program Files/WindowsApps
It's autostart location says n/a
It's currently suspended and has been for a long time ( I have not tried opening a network connection yet and not sure if I should )

* note backslash is not working on this pc so I used forward slash instead

I asked a friend to tell me if his Calculator.exe had the same properties on his windows 10 machine and he told me his Calcuator.exe has the exact same properties but when he closes it , it does not reopen as a background process.

So I'm not sure if I'm infected with malware or if I'm being paranoid and those properties of Calculator.exe are normal on windows 10

any advice would be great thanks
Last edited on
Nothing unusual there. That's how UWP processes behave normally.
Last edited on
phew, just oe follow up, why is it that the digital signature can't be verified

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/winstoreappexe-not-signed-by-microsoft/0a82a55d-1b23-4c87-8685-1c65533d49c9 - some seem to suggest it may be a bug

,thanks Helios :)
Last edited on
google around there is a place in the control panel to stop idiot programs like calc from running all the time, eating memory etc and doing nothing at all. Its typical microsoft garbage, first they break calc so its like a tool for 4 year olds who need everything to be 3x the normal size, then they make it run all the time.
phew, just oe follow up, why is it that the digital signature can't be verified
That particular executable just isn't signed, for some reason.
Code signatures for usermode programs are frustratingly worthless. There's no way to tell the shell to require signatures for specific executables, which would make important programs tamper-proof. If a user cares about signatures they have to manually check them in the file properties each time they run the program (because it might have been tampered with between runs).

And yeah, Windows 10 calc is garbage. It's slow, and occasionally it gets stuck and you can't switch between scientific and programmer mode. IMO the best version is the one in Windows 8.
It's slow
Can't say I have firsthand experience with this, but it's insane that such a program could possibly be slow.
Last edited on
It's slow in its interface with the user. There's a perceptible delay between when you press a key and when the software responds. In fact, in recent years most software has been getting progressively higher latencies.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.