Simple BASIC Interpreter Challenge

This is my tutorial-challenge to write a programming language interpreter.

https://michael-thomas-greer.com/code/SBI/Part-I/

I have been wanting to do something like this forever, and finally have had some time to play with it. And because the scope of this is big enough, I figured I would do something up nicely instead of the usual C++.com wall of text.

The challenge is structured like a tutorial and works to incrementally improve upon a working BASIC interpreter.

The first three parts are complete — covering a basic REPL, global environment (user variables), and infix expression parsing with either Shunting Yard or Recursive Descent.

More to come in time. If things go to plan (like that ever happens) the tutorial-challenge should terminate before the end of the year, and those following it should be in a position to design and implement their own programming languages.

If you have ever wondered what it takes to write your own programming language then this challenge is for you!

And you experts who have done this stuff before, please let me know if I screwed up anywhere. My brain has had enough for a short bit. (At least until the next installment, LOL.)
Last edited on
I love it!
I love it!

Thanks!

If you are working your way through it, let me know how it goes and if anything in particular could use a little better attention.
If you are working your way through it, let me know how it goes and if anything in particular could use a little better attention.

I read through the tutorial and it seemed great! Reminded me of learncpp.com . Way to busy with classes to go through it :( Haven't been able to practice other programming languages like I was planning to, I can't get large enough chunks of time during my day.

But reading the tutorial was refreshing, simple language and step by step :)
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.