Texas Weather

Pages: 12
I live in Texas, the state where the weather can't make up it's mind and the groundhog is wanted for fraud. Just the previous day, Saturday, it was nice and hot and sunny, and then today, Sunday, it was thunder-sleeting.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/t1/1456022_10151887417602093_192638866_n.jpg

The weather has been alternating cold and hot for weeks now, and it's been the same (but less extreme) the last few years. Are any other parts of the world having absurd weather the last few years?
Last year in particular, where I lived (Sydney, Australia), it was rather crazy. For example, January last year not only had the highest maximum temperature recorded in at least 18 years of 46.5 degrees, but a week and half later it also had one of the highest recorded rainfall in a day (the highest recorded for January) of 101.8mm.
It is normal for your countries, territories to have such a weather because of the climate change.
I live in Kansas. I know all about drastic weather change. Two days ago it was in the 50s. Yesterday it snowed, and right now it is -2 degrees outside. It's supposed to be back up to 60s later this week.
'Normal because of climate change.'

WTF?

More like everything is not normal due to climate change.
I am saying that is normal to have an abnormal weather when there's the climate change. I am not saying that everything is normal!
Up here in Minnesota this Winter has been very extreme in both snow and cold temperatures. This morning as I was driving to work it was -15 degree Fahrenheit out and that is basically how it has been all Winter :(.

Though I wouldn't really call it abnormal. I mean this type of weather (No matter where you are) has happened before and in most cases just recently (20 - 30 years ago) and will happen again.

For example the highest temperature in 18 years might seem like a long time and a big deal but in reality if you look at it in the large scheme of things 18 years is a split second for the earth.

I am neither for or against the theory of climate change or global warming or whatever it is called now. I wouldn't rule it out as a possibility not by a long shot but I have yet to be able to find a reliable non biased study on the subject.

Codegazer wrote:

I am neither for or against the theory of climate change or global warming or whatever it is called now. I wouldn't rule it out as a possibility not by a long shot but I have yet to be able to find a reliable non biased study on the subject.

If you think that climate change doesn't affect the weather your wrong. In Cyprus, my country, isn't raining and scientists say that we might have problem with the water(you know not enough water to water the plants etc.) while in other countries they don't want to rain because their fed up with raining!
Last edited on
jasongog wrote:
If you think that climate change doesn't affect the weather your wrong.

First of all the name climate change sort of implies that there is a change in the weather and I never suggested otherwise ;p.

I just was pointing out that I am not fully convinced whether there is such climate change or not, whether or not it is man made if there is, and if there is enough of it to severely impact our environment.

That is just my opinion and haven't seen any studies to prove there is climate change or isn't.
Last edited on
I meant THE climate change not it's meaning.
Last edited on
It's the exact same in Atlanta, GA right now. One day it's below freezing, the next it's 70 degrees and I can wear shorts. It's driving me absolutely insane.
I'm pretty sure we had a drought last year because lake Erie had dropped a few inches, and a few of the past years have been unseasonably warm. But the weather has pretty normal here recently in Buffalo. I took this last week or so on my way to work: http://i.imgur.com/5MRspo3.jpg
Last edited on
in england it can be warm dry wet and snowing on the same this time of year, no knowing whats gonna happen, come stay with me LB if you love things being messy
I would like it if the weather could make up its mind, lol.
Climate change is may as well be a fact. Something like 95% of all actively publishing climate scientists agree that the earth is warming and that human action is the cause.
http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2010/06/04/1003187107.full.pdf
closed account (3hM2Nwbp)
@Cheraphy -- I think that the last ice age argues against humanity being "the" cause of climate change.

I make no claim at being a scientist, standing 110% behind common sense given the facts that I see.

In fact...it's been "abnormally warm" for the last 5 years in my area (due to "global warming!!!" the panicked population exclaims).

This year, it's "abnormally cold" (due to "climate change!!!" the panicked population exclaims).

Perhaps next year we'll encounter global flooding or global windiness. I'll leave it up to the "scientists" whose words seem to stir up more of a commotion than rational thinking does.

Has enough time really passed to determine a definitive trend? In my opinion, it's all just theory and conjecture...
Last edited on
In my opinion (and I say this while I'm about to leave for work in a gasoline-based car), I don't see a reason for extra risk. Measures should be taken to reduce our strain on the environment since that's clearly the more responsible thing to do.

Yeah, it's now cold in Houston as well. I was wearing two jackets and jeans today. Quite strange.
Last edited on
I think that the last ice age argues against humanity being "the" cause of climate change.

I said temperature is rising due to human action, no climate is changing. Climate is changing because temperature is rising.

In fact...it's been "abnormally warm" for the last 5 years in my area (due to "global warming!!!" the panicked population exclaims).

This year, it's "abnormally cold" (due to "climate change!!!" the panicked population exclaims).

More extreme weather patterns, higher highs and lower lows, more frequent and severe storms. All things predicted by global warming. Lending credibility to the notion that the globe is in fact warming

I'll leave it up to the "scientists" whose words seem to stir up more of a commotion than rational thinking does.

First of all, Science is all about rational thought. Second of all, if I've learned anything important about research it's that intuition needs to be thrown out the window.

Has enough time really passed to determine a definitive trend? In my opinion, it's all just theory and conjecture...

Yes, Enough time has really passed to see a definitive trend. We can approximate estimates of weather from the distant past by examining the geology of the area in question. The temperature of the earth is rising at a significantly higher rate than it has in the past.

Last edited on
Again would love some credible studies if anyone has any that can prove this.
closed account (N36fSL3A)
So you're saying the abnormally cold weather where I live is because of global warming?

Seems legit.
Pages: 12