• Forum
  • Jobs
  • What questions are asked at the intervie

What questions are asked at the interview?

What questions are asked at the interview?

I got an interview invitation. What questions can I be asked?
Research the company, and figure out what they're looking for, what they do. Most likely, a company trying to hire a programmer will give tough questions with a specific programming language in mind. They may ask you about general programming knowledge (stack/heap etc.).
Remember that it's a 2-way street. You should be interviewing them too. What's the company like, why should you work there? How does the interviewer enjoy his/her job.

We haven't interviewed for anyone new in several years, but the process was sort of like this:

We'd start with a 45 minute C++ test of our own design. We'd painstakingly explain that the purpose of the test was to see if you could demonstrate knowledge commensurate with what your resume claimed. The test questions progressed from easy to hard and only someone who worked in C++ compiler development was likely to get the whole thing right in the allotted time.

The test would help point out posers. It was also a great springboard for further questions about their knowledge.

You'd be interviewed by 3-5 people, one after another. As a technical guy, my job was to assess their tech skills. I'd ask them to describe a challenging project, or something they were proud of. I'd ask questions about the project. What was their role? How did they handle this or that aspect.

I'd usually ask them to solve a technical problem. No code needed, just a whiteboard sketch or verbal description of a solution. Usually the description I gave was a little vague. I wanted to see if they could spot the parts that needed clarification. I wanted to see if they could come up with a solution. Was it reasonably fast? Did they mention performance? Sometimes it matters and sometimes it doesn't.

My favorite tech problem was one that I was asked once: you've given a large list words. Count how many times each one occurs and output the unique words, along with their counts, sorted by count.

Make sure you come in fed. Dress well to show respect for the people and the opportunity. Try to be calm and friendly.

Good luck!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.