How to draw 3d polygon maps without an editor?

Hey, I am working on a game engine and I am at the point of needing to understand how to draw 3D maps like this "https://fabiensanglard.net/quake2/soft_renderer_mipmapping.jpg" without an level editor I know it is possible with DXUT and D3D but any suggestions or links to examples on sites that can help me out would be so helpful for me so I can continue my work?
I need to know how to do this so any kind of help is greatly appreciated by me.
most engines import 3-d objects from an editor program; these are a lot like CAD programs without the engineering bits.

you can of course generate the data with an algorithm, but drawing realistic items by hand (one point at a time in code, or whatever method) is extremely difficult.

You don't need a 'game level editor' in other words, but you do need a '3d object editor'. I don't know what the current one is; I used to use 3d studio max and a couple of no-name ones that died decades ago.

You then import the objects (the library can do this, its a one liner like opening a file) an place them in your scene and they are done. The modern editors probably support some flavor of animations as well -- last I heard everything was done there and the code just says put it here, move it there, etc + lighting and fog kinds of stuff.

there may be some older threads on this here (not that old, but not in the last month either).
The game engine itself may have a readme or even the editor with it as a bundle. Check the docs for suggestions or tools?
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.