Draw a line

Hello friend. I hope that all is fine for you. I wish you the best week-end.
I am writing a function in order to draw a line according to two points on a grid. Imagine a board 160x100 pixels. I made a code which works as expected, but it lacks precision because of a simple incrementation so as to "cut" the line. Do you have any idea how I could improve this function?

void xGameEngine::DrawLine(const gck::vi2d& pos1, const gck::vi2d& pos2, Pixel p)
{
    int xx = fabs(pos1.x - pos2.x);
    int yy = fabs(pos1.y - pos2.y);
    float zz = xx / yy; // so I have to cut my line each zz, but it's not enough
    int j = 0; int i = 0;

for (int o = 0; o <= xx; o++)
    {
        if (pos1.y > pos2.y)
	    Draw(pos1.x + o, pos1.y - i, p);
	else
	    Draw(pos1.x + o, pos1.y + i, p);

j++;

if (j >= zz)
	{
	    i++;
	    j = 0;
	}
    }

Draw(pos1, Pixel(0, 255, 0));
    Draw(pos2, Pixel(0, 255, 0));
}
Last edited on
As long as you don't implement a form of "anti-aliasing" (AA) it will always look pixelated.

No AA:
https://i.imgur.com/iK5O6CN.png

With AA:
https://i.imgur.com/TQ0v7di.png

(Images are zoomed, with "nearest neighbor" scaling, in for the sake of clarity)
Last edited on
maybe set up your area to use full screen or at least more than you have for resolution.
I have a rather old monitor, and bad eyes so that matters less, and even so its 1920 x 1080 resolution across about 18 x 12 inches. That works out to about 10k pixels per square inch, and a line on the diagonal through that is using around 100 pixels.
in contrast, the line in the linked image is using not even 200 'pixels' or squares across 4 or 5 inches on my screen.
AA will help. More resolution will help. Both together will make it extremely good.
Note that if you use more pixels / inch, you will need to make it wider by some amount or it will be near invisible. Widening it makes AA easier too, so its a win-win.
Last edited on
Excuse me. My request was not clear. I know that it will be always pixelated. Furthermore, you cannot test my code... for this reason, you cannot see that it is just a question of precision. Using my code, I can see that breaking the line according to the same integer, I cannot reach the second point (so I am not too far).
oh, that.
cast the division, its integer division then assign.
float zz = (float)(xx)/yy;
int / int always produces an int. So 6 / 4 will give 1, 3 / 4 will give 0. If you want a floating point result, then at least one of the values needs to be either double or float depending upon the required type. So 6.0 / 4 will give 1.5 and 3 / 4.0 will give 0.75

If both are of type int and a non-int result is needed, then one can be cast to double/float or 0.0 added to one:

int i {6};

static_cast<double>(i) / 4
(i + 0.0) / 4

Last edited on
Hello everyone. Sorry for the delay. I had read your explanations conscientiously and I finally found a way to draw lines with really good precision. Thank you for your help. I really appreciated it. Have a nice day ++

https://ibb.co/jZYtsMZ
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.