Serial Library class method

Hi all,

I am using the Serialib serial library, but am having trouble understanding how to use the below class method. More specifically, the first method argument of char* pByte. I believe this is represents data read on the serial device, but I am unsure if I would need to eg declare a variable, then declare a char pointer to it, then pass that to the function. Or something else entirely. Any tips gratefully received. Thank you

char serialib::readChar	(	char * 	pByte,
const unsigned int 	timeOut_ms = 0 
)	
Do you know the standard library tools for file I/O like f ofstream.write() or ifstream.read()?
I am guessing here, as I do not know your library, but its probably like that: the char* most likely just means "bytes" of some data that you want to read or write.
its not unusual to see, for example, something like this:
struct s
{
bunch of simple fields like int/double
};
somefile.write((char*)(&some_s_variable), sizeof(s));

the char* in these cases is not really a buffer or true pointer, its really just a way to cast the data to bytes, in other words. Similar things are done on most network or serial port type interfaces.
Last edited on
Thank you, you were right, this has definitely pointed me in the right direction! I will update this post shortly with a complete solution, in case anybody else needs it in future. Thanks again.
What I did was:

//allocate some memory
char* pByte = new char [10];

//write and read a char
serial.writeChar('g');
usleep(10000);
serial.readChar (pByte,10000);
cout << pByte;

And I was able to read back the 'g' char I sent via a loopback test with a serial-to-usb adapter.
glad you got it working. if that readchar is max number to read, it should match your buffer size (and leave 1 spot for the zero .. see next thought).
pbyte is not ensured to be zero filled unless in debug mode. You need to put a zero into the next location after reading if you want to treat it as a c-string safely.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.