invalid min and max arguments for uniform_int

Im having some trouble and im unsure whats going on. So in my code i have attacks that an enemy can use, and I had it so that in main the attacks were added to a vector local to main, well i decided to change that so that a function in the character class now adds attacks to each enemy individually for greater control over what enemy has what attack and now i get this error:

"invalid min and max arguments for uniform_int"

EDIT: So I further was able to find that the issue lies with: randomEnemy.GetAttackList().size() in the code but I dont know why.

I stepped through it with the debugger and its happening at this block of code:

else
                {
                    cout << randomEnemy.GetName() << " uses " << randomEnemy.GetAttackList()[RandomNumber(generator, 0, randomEnemy.GetAttackList().size() - 1)].GetName();
                    cout << " against " << Hero.GetName() << ", and it does ";
                    cout << randomEnemy.GetAttackList()[RandomNumber(generator, 0, randomEnemy.GetAttackList().size() - 1)].GetPower() << " damage!\n" << endl;

Hero.TakeDamage(randomEnemy.GetAttackList()[RandomNumber(generator, 0, randomEnemy.GetAttackList().size() - 1)].GetPower());
                }

The code goes to the function I have in main which is this, and thats where it seems to fail:

int RandomNumber(default_random_engine generator, int first, int second)
{
    uniform_int_distribution<int> randomNum(first, second);

return randomNum(generator);
}

The entire main function is too big to post here so i posted it here: https://justpaste.it/5hh8m
Last edited on
Can GetAttackList().size() ever be 0?
Are you asking because you don't have enough information from my post or are you trying to give me a hint?

I think it can be 0, im pretty sure, since this line:

randomEnemy.GetAttackList()[RandomNumber(generator, 0, randomEnemy.GetAttackList().size() - 1)].GetName()

should do:

Get a random enemy, then get the attack list and choose a random attack by choosing a random number between 0 and the size of the randomly chosen enemies attack list(about 2 or 3), so : RandomNumber(generator, 0, randomEnemy.GetAttackList().size() - 1 should equate to a random number that's not bigger than the random chosen enemies attack list size. However i have no idea why it wont work. I see in my code that an attack can miss, but I added error handling to the code above and it just keeps saying the vector is empty.

I tested to see if the function that sets each enemies attacks was working correctly and it was, each enemy had their correct attacks i set for them and the size was correct, however I believe the issue may lie here at the top of my while loop in main, I do this:

Enemy randomEnemy{ enemyContainer[RandomNumber(generator, 0, enemyContainer.size() -1)] };

When I try to get this enemies attack list size, its always 0. This is the only way that I figured out how to get a random enemy, but I believe its trying to get the attack list of randomEnemy, which is not a valid enemy, just a temporary holder to get random enemy names, so therefore since its not a valid enemy and has no attacks assigned to it, its always 0. So I don't know what to do next.

EDIT: So i replaced the above code with:

int randomEnemySelection = RandomNumber(generator, 0, enemyContainer.size() - 1);

enemyContainer[randomEnemySelection];

and it still doesnt work so my theory of it getting a different enemy objects attacks i guess wasnt right, so now im completely confused
Last edited on
Here is a snippet of my while loop up to the problem area:

while (choice != -1)
    {
        choice = 0;

//Choose a random enemy and set it inside vector, if we dont do this
        //A random enemy will be chosen for each call in the fight, we want 
        //the same eney for the duration of the fight.
        Enemy randomEnemy{ enemyContainer[RandomNumber(generator, 0, enemyContainer.size() -1)] };

Item randomItem{ itemList[RandomNumber(generator, 0, itemList.size() -1)] };

//Randomly generate a reward and set it for this fight, then re-randomize it
        //for the next fight.
        randomEnemy.GiveMoney(RandomNumber(generator, 10, 100));
        randomEnemy.XpToGive(RandomNumber(generator, 10, 60));

//This makes it so most attacks have a 90% chance to hit.

cout << "Monster Fight Version 0.20.1-W.3 - 937 Lines of Code\n" << endl;
        cout << "What would you like to do?\n" << endl;

cout << "1) Fight" << endl;
        cout << "2) Quit" << endl;

cout << "\n> ";
        cin >> choice;

switch (choice)
        {
        case 1:
            cin.ignore(numeric_limits<streamsize>::max(), '\n');

//Initial encounter
            cout << "\n" << Hero.GetName() << " encountered a " << randomEnemy.GetName() << "!" << endl;
            cout << "It has " << randomEnemy.GetHealth() << " Health!\n" << endl;

turn = 1;

while (Hero.GetHealth() > 0)
            {
                cout << "\n################################################################" << endl;
                cout << "##" << "                     MONSTER FIGHT                          ##" << endl;
                cout << "################################################################" << endl;

//============================================
                //Player chooses Attack

int counter{ 1 };
                int attackChoice{ 0 };

cout << "\nUse what attack?\n" << endl;

for (auto& i : Hero.GetAttackList())
                {
                    if (Hero.GetAttackList().empty())
                    {
                        cout << Hero.GetName() << "'s attack list is empty!" << endl;
                    }
                    else
                    {
						cout << counter++ << ") " << i << endl;
                    }
                }
                cin >> attackChoice;

//Call generator to re-randomize
				generator();

if(RandomNumber(generator, 0, attackHitChance) == 0)
                {
                    cout << Hero.GetName() << "'s attack missed!\n" << endl;
                }
                else
                {
					cout << "\nACTION------------------------------------------------------------------" << endl;
					cout << Hero.GetName() << " used " << Hero.GetAttackList()[attackChoice -1].GetName() 
                         << " against the " << randomEnemy.GetName() << ", it does " << Hero.GetAttackList()[attackChoice -1].GetPower() << " damage." << endl;
					randomEnemy.TakeDamage(Hero.GetAttackList()[attackChoice -1].GetPower());
                }

//Check to see if enemy is dead and if so
                //then give player money, xp, and items

if (randomEnemy.GetHealth() <= 0)
                {
                    cout << Hero.GetName() << " defeated " << randomEnemy.GetName();
                    cout << " and got " << randomEnemy.GetMoney() << " gold and ";

Hero.GiveExperience(randomEnemy.GetXpToGive());

cout << randomEnemy.GetXpToGive() <<  " experience.\n" << endl;

Hero.LevelUp();
                    Hero.GiveMoney(randomEnemy.GetMoney());

cout << randomEnemy.GetName() << " dropped " << RandomNumber(generator, 1, 3) << " " << randomItem.GetName() << "'s." << endl;
                    Hero.AddItemToInventory(randomItem, RandomNumber(generator, 1, 3));

battles++;
                    Hero.IncrememntKillCounter();
                    cout << "\n================================================================\n" << endl;
                    break;
                }

//Randomly Choose enemy Attack

/*ISSUE
                * Something im wondering, if i call generator to randomize attack hit chance
                * will it randomize the enemy name and attack and attack power? it doesnt
                * seem to, it seems to choose one enemy and attack power and attack and
                * use it, however i am unsure.
                */
				generator();

if(RandomNumber(generator, 0, attackHitChance) == 0)
                {
                    cout << randomEnemy.GetName() << "'s attack missed!" << endl;
                }
                else
                {
                    /*BUG
                    * Having an issue here specifically with randomEnemy.GetAttackList().size()
                    * causing an issue with the randomizer.
                    */
                    cout << "ENEMY ATTACK LIST SIZE: " << randomEnemy.GetAttackList().size() << endl;//Debug
					cout << "HERO ATTACK LIST SIZE: " << Hero.GetAttackList().size() << endl;//Debug

if (randomEnemy.GetAttackList().size() == 0)
                    {
                        cout << "ERROR: Enemy attack list vector is empty." << endl;
                    }
                    else
                    {
						cout << randomEnemy.GetName() << " uses " << randomEnemy.GetAttackList()[RandomNumber(generator, 0, randomEnemy.GetAttackList().size() - 1)].GetName();
                        cout << " against " << Hero.GetName() << ", and it does ";
                        cout << randomEnemy.GetAttackList()[RandomNumber(generator, 0, randomEnemy.GetAttackList().size() - 1)].GetPower() << " damage!\n" << endl;

Hero.TakeDamage(randomEnemy.GetAttackList()[RandomNumber(generator, 0, randomEnemy.GetAttackList().size() - 1)].GetPower());
                    }

}
I got it working, I had my enemy vector set before i set the attacks so it would add enemies to the vector but the set attacks wouldnt be added since it was set after.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.