Dev C++ Hello World Program outputs make Error -largenumber

The Machine is running the latest version of Windows 10.
Dev C++ 4.9.9.2 (mingw) was installed on the C: Drive (C:/Dev-Cpp) via the official bloodshed website.
The Souce Code(s) is saved in the Documents/DevC++ Folder.

This is the source code:
#include <iostream>

int main()
{
    std::cout << "Running" << std::endl;
    system("PAUSE");
    return 0;
}

1. - Output of Compile & Run (F9):
--------------------------------
C:\Users\myusername\Documents\DevC++\Makefile.win [Build Error] [main.o] Error -1073741674

2. - Output of Compiler Log:
Compiler: Default compiler
Building Makefile: "C:\myusername\myusername\Documents\DevC++\Makefile.win"
Executing make...
make.exe -f "C:\Users\myusername\Documents\DevC++\Makefile.win" all
g++.exe -c main.cpp -o main.o -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.2/include" -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include/c++/3.4.2/backward" -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include/c++/3.4.2/mingw32" -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include/c++/3.4.2" -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include"
make.exe: *** [main.o] Error -1073741674
Execution terminated

When running g++ (--version) in a regular cmd, bash or powershell, there's no output, nor any error whereas gcc gives an "Internal error: Aborted (programm collect2)" error.

Appended C:\Dev-Cpp\bin System-Path Variable.
Last edited on
Well, your very first issue is that you're using Dev C++. I would recommend a better IDE like Code::Blocks or a more professional one like Visual Studio(I recommend VS), both of which you can get for free. They also give you better error messages and tell you what is wrong.

I ran the code in Visual Studio 2019 and on a few online compilers and it runs fine for me. I'm unsure what the error is.

Also, dont use system anything. use std::cin.get() to wait instead.

Something like this:

#include <iostream>

using std::cout;
using std::cin;
using std::endl;

int main()
{
    cout << "Running" << endl;

cin.get();

return 0;
}
Last edited on
It's either not installed properly or it's something weird like a bad reaction with your real-time antivirus protection (which you would need to disable if that's the case).

However, I agree that codeblocks is better than dev-c++. You might want to totally uninstall dev-c++ and get codeblocks instead.
Or the free MS VS 2019 Community edition.
Hello My Echo My Shadow And Me,

If you must use Dev C++ there is a newer version 5.11 that would be better. Otherwise Code::Blocks or a version of MSVS, 2017 or 2019, would be a better choice. I use MSVS 2017 and 2019, but do not take that as an endorsement because I also use Code::Blocks and others at times.

Your code should not make any difference, but Dev C++ is set up to use a standard that is pre2011 so you may have some problems. Or as dutch said it may have been a bad install.

If it is properly installed consider following this:

The DEV C++ that I have is version 5.11 with a build year of 2015.

To adjust the settings:
 • Under the Tools menu choose "Compiler Options".
 • In the window that comes up you will see tabs for "General", "Settings", "Directories" and "Programs".
 • Choose the settings tab.
 • In the next set of tabs that come up choose "Code Generation".
 • The last line should say “Language Standard (-std).
 • On the right side of that line click on the down arrow.
 • In the list box that comes up choose "ISO C++ 11".  // I believe this is the best choice.
 • Press "OK".
This will let the IDE and compiler use the C++11 standards.

You should also look under the “Help” menu choice and click on "About" for more information.

Just so you know I ran this in my installed version of Dev C++ wit no problem.

You posted the contents of the log file, but the "Makefile.win" file would be of more use.

Andy
There is an ever newer version of Dev-C++ called Red Panda Dev-C++
https://royqh.net/devcpp-en/
Installing a newer (5.11) seems to have fixed the issue magically.
It is worth noting that the newer version were (auto)installed into the Program Files(x86) folder instead of directly on the C: drive. Furthermore TDM was chosen.

Thanks everyone.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.