Accessing a vector from another class

Hello, I am trying to make a little console based game, and i need a vector that holds inventory items that end boss' can hold. I do not want this vector (v1)to be stored in the end boss class, as I want this vector (v1) to simply hold every item that is possible. And then each end boss character will have their own inventory vector (v2), and at the start of the game, certain items from v1 will be pushed into v2. So I need a way to access v1, from the end boss class.

As I said I did not want the v1 to be created in the end boss class as I figured that would be a waste of memory (each end boss object holding this vector), so i created v1, in its own class, and then created it as an object in the end boss class. I wanted to create it as a static vector, so that it was shared between all the enemy boss objects, as I believe it would be a waste of memory for all the end boss objects to hold this vector themselves, but when I have it as static, i get an error. Without static it works fine. But I would like to try and make it as a real world program would be made. So, is it possible to make it static, or is there a better way to do this vector? Is this how this inventory vector would be represented in a real world program?

Vector (v1) container class
  #include <iostream>
#include <vector>

using std::string;
using std::vector;
class inventoryContainer
{
private:

public:
	vector <string> inventoryItems = { "Sword", "Axe", "Mallet", "Hammer" };

};

enemyBoss cpp

#pragma once
#include "enemy.h"
#include "inventoryContainer.h"
class enemyBoss : public enemy
{
private:
	int health = 100;
	vector <string> inventory;
	static inventoryContainer inventoryCon;
public:
	enemyBoss();
	~enemyBoss();

void addToInventory();

};

enemyBoss header

#include "enemyBoss.h"
#include "inventoryContainer.h"

void enemyBoss::addToInventory()
{
	for (int i = 0; i < 3; i++)
	{
		i = rand() % 3 + 1;

inventory.push_back(inventoryCon.inventoryItems[i]);
	}
}
Statics like this get initialized on global scope. So 'inventoryContainer.hpp' goes like this:
using namespace std;

using std::string;
using std::vector;

class inventoryContainer
{
private:

public:
	static vector <string> inventoryItems;//{ "Sword", "Axe", "Mallet", "Hammer" };

}; //End Of Class Declaration

vector<string> inventoryContainer::inventoryItems{ "Sword", "Axe", "Mallet", "Hammer" };
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.