Press any key continue automatically

Hello everyone,
I will be very happy if you can help me for a problem I face with. I have written a C++ code to read a multiple data files in Visual Studio interface. The code works fine but after reading each file , I get the prompt screen ans say "press any key to continue…" I press enter and the code reads the Following file and go on. However, I want to do this automatically without pressing any key to continue reading. How can I do that ? Is there any code to press any key to continue that I can add to my code ?
Thank you so much

If you have access to the source code, just remove the part of the code that forces the user to wait.

Alternatively, you need to pipe newlines from either a file or from the output of another program into your program.

For example, make file called file.txt, and in that file just press Enter a bunch of times to create new lines, and then save the file.
Then, on the command line, run:
type file.txt | my_program
where my_program is the name of your C++ program.
Last edited on
Thank you @Ganado. Yes I have access to the source code, there is a line system("pause"). When I remove it, it reads the files successively as I want, however, I can not see the results on the prompt screen since it disappears quickly as soon as the debugging finishes. I need to see the results as well.
Then put a single system("pause") [or equivalent, see the sticky thread] at the very end of main, outside of any loop.

Even better, since you said you're debugging, just put a breakpoint at the end of main and run your debugger.
There's a sticky thread dedicated to this sort of issue: http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/beginner/1988/

(I also edited my previous post while you were typing, with an alternative)
Last edited on
Hello learner999,

At times I have found this useful to put a pause into a program.

std::this_thread::sleep_for(std::chrono::seconds(3));  // <--- Needs header files chrono" and "thread". 

The only 2 parts to be concerned about are that you change "seconds" to "milliseconds" and the number in (). 3 means 3 whole seconds and 1000ms is 1 second. using "milliseconds" can give you more control over the delay time.

Andy
Thank you so much @Handy Andy and @Ganado . The problem has been solved . Thank you so much
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.